Check this out, i just came across this fascination article. Are we aliens?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/martians-20110323-233938-413.html

Recommended Answers

All 48 Replies

Sure, why not?? There have been a lot of theories about where we came from. Mars is as good an explanation as any other because they are all nothing more than guesses. No physical proof exists anywhere in the universe about how life in Earth got started.

Even if they find DNA similarities between Earth and Mars it doesn't mean a damn thing because the same DNA similarities could exist between all planets everywhere in the universe. We don't know, and we probably will never know.

Member Avatar for diafol

WRT biochemistry, it is difficult as mentioned to predict whether life has a common universal blueprint. It's highly likely that all forms of life will be carbon-based, but it doesn't follow that they all have to use a nucleic acid (RNA and DNA) based template. Indeed, some types of life may be so exotic that they do not store genetic material, but simply acquire it as required. Certain organic compounds have been found outside the Earth, but they do not need life to explain their existence. Nevertheless, life, IMO may well be based upon these building blocks.

All in all, this cannot prove or disprove the theory that life on Earth was 'seeded'. A professor in Cardiff has been pushing a theory of exo-influenza for some time. Whether he is right or wrong, I doubt whether it points to a 'seeding' from another planet. It may help explain how some key organics came into being on Earth. Interesting subject, but for me, a bit like religion. Believe what you want.

commented: You should be a teacher ;) +0

Does this strike anyone as being remarkable odd?

"In order to detect signs of past or present life on Mars-if it is in fact true that we're related-then a promising strategy would be to search for DNA or RNA, and specifically for particular sequences of these molecules that are nearly universal in all forms of terrestrial life."

This doesn't make sense at all to me. First of all, they make the comment that if we are related we will find similar DNA and RNA. Okay, I can handle that. But, then they say that these particular sequences are nearly universal in all forms of terrestrial life. If I understand this correctly, then any kind of life should have them and they really don't have to be related to us at all. AND, why do they say universal? What other planets or galaxies have we found life on-and can prove it-where we can analyze their molecular sequences at all? Please correct me if I misunderstood. I must be missing something....

Have you guys been pondering if there similarity between earthlings and martians . How will they looked like instead of the green smal guys with only 3 eyes.

Have you guys been pondering if there similarity between earthlings and martians . How will they looked like instead of the green smal guys with only 3 eyes.

Sure. According to some Sci-Fi authors, the only thing we'll have in common with them is math. And even that is debatable when you look at how math doesn't always work the way the real world does. So, I imagine that if they do exist, we wouldn't know about it anyway. That means I don't have to worry if they do or don't! How convenient.

I think our scientists already know there is no life on Mars, hence no such thing as a Martian. But that doesn't mean there isn't life on other planets, such as those encountered by Star Trek TV shows.

Yeah we are Aliens to Aliens. B-)

commented: agree +0

Scientists have think that there might be life in other universe. What do you think life will be like in other universe. MAybe a frost aliens that is able to freeze every person it saw or......

Klingons

Member Avatar for diafol

> If I understand this correctly, then any kind of life should have them and they really don't have to be related to us at all

That's illogical captain.

who said aliens were logical like us? All (or most) humans have two arms and two legs, yet there is no relationship between you and me other than we are both earthlings.

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm not. Dad always went on, "I don't know which planet you were born on, you muppet". When I asked Mum, she just told me not to be so silly. I KNOW there's a big conspiracy going on. When I pick a scab, I get squigy yellow blood - now tell me I'm still human. Hah. You can't.

"Even if they find DNA similarities between Earth and Mars it doesn't mean a damn thing because the same DNA similarities could exist between all planets everywhere in the universe."

Sure it is possible but not likely. Unless we assume all life looks exactly like life on earth, there is no reason to think basic things like protein synthesis would use the same amino acids or use RNA in it at all (I didn't read the full article I'm assuming they are referring to 16S RNA which is used for building phylogenies on earth because of its universally because it is intimately connected with protein synthesis).

"First of all, they make the comment that if we are related we will find similar DNA and RNA. Okay, I can handle that. But, then they say that these particular sequences are nearly universal in all forms of terrestrial life. If I understand this correctly, then any kind of life should have them and they really don't have to be related to us at all. AND, why do they say universal?"

Not necessarily Amino acids can be either right handed or left handed (chemical orientation look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about) both forms behave exactly the same except when bound together with other amino acids they are 'backwards' which totally messes up the protein, so all life on earth uses left handed amino acid only (as far as we know this is completely by chance). That means any alien life even if it is exactly like us has a 50% chance of using right handed amino acids.

Also there are many more than 20 amino acids that can exist it is unknown why terrestrial life only uses 20 and all life uses the same 20 other than due to inheritance. It is reasonable to think alien life might use different amino acids.

Furthermore we think life on earth evolved from an RNA world which is why basic functions like protein synthesis use RNA-protein enzymes not just protein enzymes like most biosynthesis. Alien life doesn't have to evolved in this way so it could be very different.

Earthlings have a totally unneeded appendix, did that come from the alien?

Well, lardmeister you avatar looks pretty alien to me.

yes we are from plantet zzooooooooboooooobbooooooo we are a very funny and intelagent creatures but why why are we destroing this descusting planet

But we earthlings will eliminate you first. Haha, Lol:D

Member Avatar for diafol

> yes we are from plantet zzooooooooboooooobbooooooo we are a very funny and intelagent creatures but why why are we destroing this descusting planet!!

I do believe you are an alien.

Agree with ardav above. But before you have the choice earthlings will destroy you first. Sorry no offense

Agree with ardav above. But before you have the choice earthlings will destroy you first. Sorry no offense

***Seems like people here are playing Alien-Alien*** *_*

hehe. And the leading the scoreboard now is the earthlings, they have 100 kills while the aliens only have 50 kills

i dont beleive that we are aleins.............

Member Avatar for diafol

> i dont beleive that we are aleins.............

Hah, I come from a tribe o Alans.

Maybe we are a crossbreed of aliens and earthlings. Haha;) LOL:D

Read Chariots of the Gods book. Or see this video. They will explain the whole thing to you in stunning detail.

Nice link ancient dragon. Is there anymore?

It depends on what/who you are comparing us to.

It depends on what/who you are comparing us to.

Who are you referring to? Me? Are you an alien cheng yi?:-/ Sorry but no offense;). LOL::D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.