hi

im doing an assignment about policies in it and im asked to speak with a technition to find out about how policies affect you at work just a paragraph would be so much help

cheers dan

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Policies help to avoid utter chaos. Feel free to fluff that up into a paragraph, but that's the core of it.

Some Policies help to avoid utter chaos. Feel free to fluff that up into a paragraph, but that's the core of it.

There, fixed it for you :)

That's a very very broad subject and could probably write a whole book about it. Re-think it like this: how does the policies of your school affect you? Basically the boss will tell you "Follow my policies or else -- if you don't like them then go work somewhere else."

Maybe you should narrow down the topic to something more manageable.

There, fixed it for you :)

"Non-stupid" would be better than "Some" if you want to account for policies in practice. At least that way it's conditional on quality rather than quantity, the latter of which can be debated.

Policies create utter chaos. Feel free to fluff that up into a paragraph, but that's the core of it.

There, fixed it for you. Most "policies" do nothing but make work harder to do well, and many make work impossible to do at all.

Like the "security policy" where I now work, which means I've been waiting since early February for the permissions to upload and compile sources on our development server, causing several months delay and massive cost overruns on the project.

Like the "security policy" where I now work, which means I've been waiting since early February for the permissions to upload and compile sources on our development server, causing several months delay and massive cost overruns on the project.

Oh, you must be working for US governmemt or one of its contractors. Been there, and done that. But I understand why, because they get too many hackers and viruses. But I'm not sure the cost is really worth it.

nope, this is a private company.
They've just too many, too confuzzled, policies and noone responsible for monitoring the results of actions.
So we apply for something to our local admin, who pushes it to head office halfway around the world for approval, which gets granted after a few hours to days, which triggers it being sent for implementation to another office on the other side of the world again where someone gets tasked to execute a script.
The script fails, but that person isn't tasked to check the results of the scripts he executes, so he closes the ticket as "executed" despite nothing having been accomplished.
We get told things have been done, when they haven't.
After a few dozen iterations like that, finally the CTO took notice and pulled some strings, and we did get access we needed. But then something was done to the server (we think a backup was restored) and all that was wiped, so we have to start from scratch.
Repeat ad infinitum.

Thank you policies.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.