When I purchased my Samsung MP3 player (YP-U1z), I had a PC. Now I have a Mac and of course the CD that came with the player is only for Windows and will not work on my Mac.
I have searched the Samsung site and the Internet to find a solution for using my player with my Mac but so far, nothing.
If anyone can help me, please email me at: [email]email snipped[/email]
before I lose my mind!!!!!

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

From what I can tell, the YP-U1Z is supposed to comply with the USB Mass Storage standard, which means it should automatically be recognized by your Mac. Just out of curiosity, which version of Mac OS X are you running? This can be found by clicking "About This Mac" from the Apple menu.

Can you also try opening up Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities) and posting the output of the following command:

$ mount

Hit 'enter' or 'return' to execute.

Yep, that's right. There is no reason for the MAC not to mount the players mass storage card unless there is no direct access via the USB, as follows. I have a Trio phone that plays Mp3's that will not mount so I just put the card in a card reader and drop my songs into the card, easy as that!

I am using OSX 10.4.
When I plug the player into the Mac, the player icon shows on the desktop. I can open it, can see the music files I put in there when I had my PC. I clicked Edit, Delete and erased the files but this action didn't erase the files from the player. I was hoping to free up the space to download new music.
I have contacted Samsung in hopes of an answer.
I will take your advice and see if that will work. I really don't understand why Samsung didn't create a disc for Mac.
Thank you all for your help.

I went into Terminal and gave the command you suggested but all I got was a window called, "bash". My text was there but nothing happened.
I'm not Mac 'savy' yet so I probably did something wrong.

>When I plug the player into the Mac, the player icon shows on the desktop. I can open it, can
>see the music files I put in there when I had my PC. I clicked Edit, Delete and erased the files
>but this action didn't erase the files from the player.
Ah, so this isn't a driver issue. To delete files from a mountable device, drag them onto the Trash. Then, make sure you empty the Trash. Emptying the Trash is what actually deletes the files from the player's hard drive.

>I really don't understand why Samsung didn't create a disc for Mac.
The idea was that if they manufactured it to conform to the standards, it wouldn't need a disc. You had noted that it did mount, but had trouble deleting files. From what I can tell, the player is behaving as intended.

Ah, maybe the permissions are not set correctly. Highlight the folder and in Finder use 'get info' and see if it is set to 'Read only'. Use 'Help' to see what to change it to if you don't know how. It needs to be 'read write' to delete.

thank you both for your advise. I will do as you said and see what happens.

By the way, onto a different topic:
Is there a way to put my Applications icon into the dock?
thanks !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.