24
Contributors
143
Replies
144
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by crunchie
Featured Replies
  • I voted "Don't Know, Don't Care" just because it was the closest, but it's really "Don't Know" for me. I do care. Read More

  • Religion is not only faith dear it is also how you understand and interprate this faith... religion is not only to go in mosque, temple or church it is how you spend your life how it effects your daily life. Religion is to give you peace of mind, right ways … Read More

  • [QUOTE=abelLazm;] As far as proves by science are concerned what is logic of making a human being with one sperm?????[/QUOTE] That scenario would indeed be a difficult one for science to explain. It would be a suitable "miracle" and evidence that maybe there was something supernatural out there. Add an … Read More

  • [QUOTE=susheelsundar;]Vernon, you are right, it's not a healthy discussion if we say Science cannot prove everything, which means God must be there. if, then so, why do you demigod Science,[/quote] I have no clue what you are talking about. I never made the argument "Science cannot prove everything, which means … Read More

  • Look what Muslims believe is that Islam and Christianity are both religions of One Allah Christ (AKA EEsa in Islam) and Muhammad (PBUH) are the Prophet sent by Allah to this world to guide His people.... Quran and Bible both Contain His words the religion was started by Christ and … Read More

1

I voted "Don't Know, Don't Care" just because it was the closest, but it's really "Don't Know" for me. I do care.

Edited by VernonDozier: n/a

0

Is there anything to discuss. How can you discuss something nobody knows. Saying there is a god, is a one in a billion chance. I'm going to create my own religion, it's called alcoholyism. Atleast it's realistic :)

2

Religion is not only faith dear it is also how you understand and interprate this faith... religion is not only to go in mosque, temple or church it is how you spend your life how it effects your daily life. Religion is to give you peace of mind, right ways to spend your personal and social life :)

Votes + Comments
feels like giving you my heart :)
0

Thats because all you people need your guidelines to live by, you have to have your beleif there is something greator, Me, i don't have that problem, i know i'm the greatest.

-1

Thats because all you people need your guidelines to live by, you have to have your beleif there is something greator, Me, i don't have that problem, i know i'm the greatest.

If everyone think they are self god and do whatever they want, there won't be civilization, but we built our civilization, ever ask yourself, why there is good and bad, and don't say that you are the greatest, if a train hits you it feels the same pain when others get hit, so you can't be the great, in this life, you can earn money, you can be the ruler, icon, which any any any any idiot want to, but you can't rule a heart :)

Votes + Comments
I can rule any heart i want, i'm smooth.
0

So do you guys think religion is just a big scam?

No. It's people who use religion to scam other people. It's quite possible to be religious without scamming or being scammed by other people, you just have to keep your head screwed on straight (as with all things in life).

I'm neither religious nor atheist. I don't believe in any god(s), but neither do I believe in the non-existence of gods.
Give me scientific evidence (and "it says so in the holy book which was written by god and is therefore always right because it says god is always right" isn't scientific evidence) that your religion is correct and I'll join it.
Joining any other religion would be a bad bet, as all religions treat those who follow other gods worse than those following none at all and given the number of religions you're more likely to join one that on judgment day turns out to be the wrong one.

0

I believe in God. Maybe it is because my parents brought me up believing in God I don't know if I had been brought up differently perhaps my beliefs would be different.

I don't go to church though... Some things in the bible I question. Like just recently, I found out a close friend of mine is a closet homosexual and just trying to accept him for who he truly is was difficult for me. I think cases like that you have to question what is morally right and what isn't as opposed to black and white stories in the bible.

Thing is you just don't know. There might not be an afterlife. All I know is, I wish to live my life fully and if that means helping people along the way then I feel good about it. I think that's the message my faith has instilled in me.

Karma...

Edited by iamthwee: n/a

Votes + Comments
Exactly
0

....god is always right" isn't scientific evidence) that your religion is correct and I'll join it.

Do Science prove everything?

0

>> The thing is you can never know.

I'm not sure about that. God could potentially come down and part the Red Sea or cure everybody or whatever right on CNN's cameras. Maybe even apply for James Randi's Million Dollar Challenge. Tell James he can film the whole thing from any angle he wants to prove it's not a trick. Then we'd all know for sure that it's true. Or we might all find out for sure that it's true after we die. What we'll never know for sure is that it's false if it is indeed false (i.e. He may exist all right, just never made the big splash).

Hence the atheist position that they don't have the burden of proof on this.

0

>> The thing is you can never know.

I'm not sure about that. God could potentially come down and part the Red Sea or cure everybody or whatever right on CNN's cameras. Maybe even apply for James Randi's Million Dollar Challenge. Tell James he can film the whole thing from any angle he wants to prove it's not a trick. Then we'd all know for sure that it's true. Or we might all find out for sure that it's true after we die. What we'll never know for sure is that it's false if it is indeed false (i.e. He may exist all right, just never made the big splash).

Hence the atheist position that they don't have the burden of proof on this.

Thats the thing, we can never know. All of this could be false, even science. Thats why I say we never actually know if science can prove everything or not, because one can argue that we just don't have the technology to prove this right now, but who knows if such technology will ever exist?

Lately, my heads been all screwed up thinking about god. One minute he has my heart and others I start to question( sounds like my relationship with girlfriends ). At the end, I think we can only believe. But as a side note, now atheist position have the burden of proving that its not the case.

1

I am atheist, and have no problem with religious people at all, as long as they do not blame their own mistakes on "the devil made me do it" or "my god told me to do it". I am responsible for my own actions, and my own morality. I do not need a religious crutch to live my life!

Interesting, is the many many type of denominations in any type of religion who all claim they are the only ones to be right. That on it's own shows one it is wrong!

I do not need religion to be good to my fellow human or animal, to help others, to live a moral live, etc as it is part of every humans genes. Everyone is born arheist, and depending on how you grow up, that will determain if you are going to become religious, as well as if, also if you're going to be Christian, Muslem, Hindu etc will depend on where you were born.

Religion, in my honest opinion, is a man made thing, to belong somewhere first of all, and to use to influance people, mostly politically motivated (under the hood natuarally) In my case, if I have the need to belong somewhere, I go join a club or something, it comes to the same thing!

0

>> The thing is you can never know.

I'm not sure about that. God could potentially come down and part the Red Sea or cure everybody or whatever right on CNN's cameras. Maybe even apply for James Randi's Million Dollar Challenge. Tell James he can film the whole thing from any angle he wants to prove it's not a trick. Then we'd all know for sure that it's true. Or we might all find out for sure that it's true after we die. What we'll never know for sure is that it's false if it is indeed false (i.e. He may exist all right, just never made the big splash).

Hence the atheist position that they don't have the burden of proof on this.

Thats the thing, we can never know. All of this could be false, even science. Thats why I say we never actually know if science can prove everything or not, because one can argue that we just don't have the technology to prove this right now, but who knows if such technology will ever exist?

Lately, my heads been all screwed up thinking about god. One minute he has my heart and others I start to question( sounds like my relationship with girlfriends ). At the end, I think we can only believe. But as a side note, now atheist position have the burden of proving that its not the case.

0

>> All of this could be false, even science.

All of WHAT could be false? Is this one of those Bishop Berkeley/Rene Descartes philosophical things about "What can I really be sure of?/Do I actually have a body?What if I'm the only thing that exists and you're all just ideas of mine?" Those can be interesting...for a while. Sometimes you just have to decide that a cigar is just a cigar and it absolutely does exist and it's physical matter and you CAN touch it, and so can everyone else in the room because they exist too and will continue to after you die.


>> Thats why I say we never actually know if science can prove everything or not

We do know that it cannot prove everything.


>> because one can argue that we just don't have the technology to prove this right now, but who knows if such technology will ever exist?

Technology will improve more and more, so we'll be able to prove more and more through science. We can now explain through science all sorts of stuff that we never could before that used to be attributable only to God. Science will never be able to explain EVERYTHING. How depressing would that be?


>> Lately, my heads been all screwed up thinking about god. One minute he has my heart and others I start to question( sounds like my relationship with girlfriends ).

Even atheists will understand this analogy.


>> But as a side note, now atheist position have the burden of proving that its not the case.

Huh?

0

my opinion is in this documentary... zeitgeist
watch first part about religion 2nd and 3rd is about nine eleven and banks.
http://vimeo.com/13726978

actualy the documentary prooves that all religions have a base the sun...
why 25 of december?why 1 star?why 3 mages follow it and many more...

for example who is the one that borned 25 of december from virgin mother and 3 mages gave him gifts following a star and died at 33?do you know?
are you sure?no its not jesus!at least isnt the first one...there are more than 25 religious guys with that characteristics but the very first was Osiris egyptian god.
anyway if you want watch the docymentary...

0

and something else...cause i am guy that i need facts...one of the things that made me more sceptic is if you take a bible that they sell now,the one that you maybe have at your home... and compare it with this ... http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/

its like one of the prototypes in bible...
and not the kings George edition that we have now

you will see some crazy staff changed a lot,or in prototype never existed...for example in sicaticus resurrection doesnt exist... or it speaks about jesus...and in the new one they added 3 words that change the meaning..."son of god" which they dont exist in sinaticus.

you can search or google differences :P

example: see at your bible mark from chapter 16 verse 8 and at sinaticus the same... what do you see?

Edited by ntrncx: n/a

0

I am an atheist. I can't understand how anybody could believe in a god once they go beyond a certain age. I find wonder and joy in the world, but I do not need a god to explain it. Some things I will never understand, as my little brain is too small to digest the grandeur of the universe. So, how can I know that there is no god? I can't, not for certain, but in the long list of explanations for weird phenomena, he/she comes right at the bottom. I really can't be doing with the scribblings of a few mad Middle Eastern / Asian prophets from at least 1500 years ago.

The ancient religions of the Greeks, Romans, Celts, Egyptians etc were thought ridiculous (or systematically wiped out - take your pick), so what makes these 'new' ones any better?

I was brought up as a Christian, in the Independent Non-Conformist Welsh Chapel movement. I look back at it and shudder. Superstition and damnation. What a load of old codswallop.

If belonging to a sect gives you comfort when you lose a loved one or are suffering from an illness or are facing death. Fine, knock yourself out. But please, don't preach to me, don't slag off other sects/religions and don't victimize minorities.

I welcome the day when religions go the way of the dodo. Some time yet though. :(

0

I think to spend life like human beings we need some code of ethics that is what religion gives us.

But please, don't preach to me, don't slag off other sects/religions and don't victimize minorities.

Dear Ardav I don't think this thread is made to preach any thing or changing believes or insulting any religion this thread is here to just share your how you feel about God .... As far as I am concerned I believe in Allah and His all prophets (Muhammad (PBUH), Christ, Moses and all of the others) and I don't think it should bother any one because what I believe only effects me not anyone else.... Terrorism is not religious fight it is done by a group of people who are manipulating religious emotions of people for their benefit....

Give me scientific evidence (and "it says so in the holy book which was written by god and is therefore always right because it says god is always right" isn't scientific evidence) that your religion is correct and I'll join it.

Do Science prove everything?

As far as proves by science are concerned what is logic of making a human being with one sperm????? Who is running this world I am not Talking about economically I am talking about natural resources..... so science doesn't proves everything...

Holy books of all religions are guidelines given to its followers. They teach the code of ethics to run a civilization, a home and your life...

Edited by abelLazm: n/a

1

As far as proves by science are concerned what is logic of making a human being with one sperm?????

That scenario would indeed be a difficult one for science to explain. It would be a suitable "miracle" and evidence that maybe there was something supernatural out there. Add an egg into the mix and science has explained how that happens pretty well. It's happened numerous times in the past, even though every new mother I've ever met seems to think she's the first woman to ever have a baby.

0

That scenario would indeed be a difficult one for science to explain. It would be a suitable "miracle" and evidence that maybe there was something supernatural out

Then how would you explain a miracle or supernatural things???? That is where we start believing there is some one out there who has enough powers to make such miracles happen :)

0

>> Then how would you explain a miracle or supernatural things????

I think we are not communicating effectively. My whole point was that human beings aren't created from "one sperm" as you say. We talk about the "miracle of child-birth" and it is a pretty amazing thing, but it's not a "miracle" that science can't explain effectively without any help from the supernatural, so it's not a good example of the argument of "Science cannot explain this, therefore God must exist" because science CAN and HAS explained it.

0

my opinion is in this documentary... zeitgeist

If you check the facts about this same documentary movie, there are so many contradictions, and those contradictions relates to religion,

but lemme ask you onething, if this documentary is true, then why Rockefellers are not getting arrested?


there are so many things from holy book, where you can raise it as something awful/unreasonable/ or anything you could blame it, but faith Stands.

0

VernonDozier ... Sorry for misunderstanding .... Lets take it from another point science only explains things not does them who does then???????

Edited by abelLazm: n/a

0

The thing is you can never know.

But i think you are wrong, Science cannot prove everything, and did not, Science is an human evolution, an on going process of exploration, ape man wasn't a scientist, and to Remind you, Science work on the art of nature, but it never creates nature, it follows what a human want, But Science is not creator, Mind this please :).

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.