Is there really anything left to say? The rule is the rule. There is no debate. It's not a matter of opinion. There is a right answer and a wrong answer. Parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division at equal precedence, which means you go left to right in that case, then finally addition and subtraction, which is also of equal precedence so you go left to right. This is the method to use if you always want to get the right answer. All of these acronyms are interesting and somewhat helpful, but they all fall flat with these equal precedence / left to right problems so if you try to use only the acronym, you're going to be in trouble.

What's better? PEDMAS or PEMDAS? They're equally good / right and equally bad / wrong since M and D both have equal precedence. Which one should you use? Neither, but if you want to use one, flip a coin. They'll both work equally well and fail entirely under the right circumstances.

5 x 5 / 5 --> right under PEMDAS, wrong under PEDMAS
5 / 5 x 5 --> right under PEDMAS, wrong under PEMDAS

Your all very right. I wanted to see what people will react like. I new there would be a bunch (most likely a majority) of programmers and/or math acquainted people here - But still, its possible. People generally do not think of that as that's not how they're taught to think when they're young. PEMDAS, same thing as BIMDAS and BOMDAS; thus, I DO memorise it. Why is it a great job? Well you all got it right the first time, unless your hiding the fact you didn't :D

By MDAS principle...it is equal to 26.

@ VernonDozier

I do understand that. It really comes down to the scenario you are currently in, the problem you are facing.

@ EarlSarsuelo

Very true, good on ya ;)

26 is the answer

mdas and dmas. So now we can happily interchange between division first, then multiplication first? I don't think so.
What's your say?

(10*2)/5 = 4
10*(2/5) = 10 * 6.6 = 60.6

Member Avatar for diafol

(10*2)/5 = 4

I get both to be 4

Last one: 10*(2/5) = 10*0.4 = 4

Or am I missing something?

Better example of not interchangebility of division and multiplication a/(b*c) = a/b/c /= a/b*c

Now I just happen to be drunk as hell. i forgort how ..what is 1 million divided by ten divided by ten dividided by like ten times. who cares? just do it .. rate me down when you don't understand, but make sure to never rate me up when i actually do decided like i can help,,squash this thread.. it has been pointlessly disected. way beyond necessary

The problem your friend had is the normal problem with people. All throughout school we are taught to read left to right correct? So int turn, even in math we begin reading left to right out of habit. Sometimes you have the people that try to solve problems as they read them (not always the best method of doing something) and with math can almost always produce the wrong answer. The trick is to take your time and examine the problem before trying to solve it and some where along the way people forget that. Slow down and think, even if it is just 6 + 2 * 10. :)

commented: Good on you ;) +0

Eh!? :confused: I think its 26, but now you have made me doubt of my mathematical way of thinking.

Also, I don't understand what this BIMDAS stuff is, but it sounds to me that its like a Mathematical Fallacy. Like the "All numbers are equal" in which one divides by 0 to prove it. I fell for it before noticing I was dividing by 0.

Eh!? :confused: I think its 26, but now you have made me doubt of my mathematical way of thinking.

Also, I don't understand what this BIMDAS stuff is, but it sounds to me that its like a Mathematical Fallacy. Like the "All numbers are equal" in which one divides by 0 to prove it. I fell for it before noticing I was dividing by 0.

What has this got to do with division by zero or a mathematical fallacy? BIMDAS also known as BEMDAS is a rule of precedence that's it. I wonder why this thread is so huge..:-O

What has this got to do with division by zero or a mathematical fallacy? BIMDAS also known as BEMDAS is a rule of precedence that's it. I wonder why this thread is so huge..:-O

Nothing. I should have googled "BIMDAS" before posting. XD

Thanks for assisting in proving my point, Ancient Dragon :D

(10*2)/5 = 4

Maths is so manipulatable <-- if this is a word :P which it is not but now is :)

Better example of not interchangebility of division and multiplication a/(b*c) = a/b/c /= a/b*c

We enjoy doing it. It can help further strengthen one's mathematics in ways unimaginable! Seems simple and silly, but it's all in the subconscious my friend :)
Do you get me?

Now I just happen to be drunk as hell. i forgort how ..what is 1 million divided by ten divided by ten dividided by like ten times. who cares? just do it .. rate me down when you don't understand, but make sure to never rate me up when i actually do decided like i can help,,squash this thread.. it has been pointlessly disected. way beyond necessary

Your absolutely right! Thanks for supporting me, IxXTaCoXxl :)

The problem your friend had is the normal problem with people. All throughout school we are taught to read left to right correct? So int turn, even in math we begin reading left to right out of habit. Sometimes you have the people that try to solve problems as they read them (not always the best method of doing something) and with math can almost always produce the wrong answer. The trick is to take your time and examine the problem before trying to solve it and some where along the way people forget that. Slow down and think, even if it is just 6 + 2 * 10. :)

Your answer is right, BDove :) How is this Mathematical Fallacy?

Thanks for clearing things up dovakhiin :)

:D how this thread could become so long? :D (didn' read all posts)

Thanks for assisting in proving my point, Ancient Dragon :D

The math you quoted was wrong. Both answers should have been 4 as someone else pointed out.

Every single time I ask someone that question I get 80

Thats because the answer IS 80!!

6+2X10

6+2=8

<6+2>=8x10=80 :)

You are manipulating the equation -_- Besides, prove that you are correct? Have you even read the threads?

How is this Mathematical Fallacy?

Please let us forget about my error. ;)

We are not the only ones who make algebraic errors. If done correctly a C program can be manipulated to commit an error like this. Look:

#define FOO 8
#define BAR 4
#define FOOBAR FOO+BAR

printf ("The answer is %d\n", 6*FOOBAR);

The program would throw 52 instead of 72. Crazy, eh? :) Look at the complete article: http://mirrors.zoreil.com/webclub.kcom.ne.jp/ma/colinp/win32/basics/baddefine.html

I used to commit theses errors too when I took my calculus class. Most students who fail at calculus fail because of algebraical errors (though I managed to notice in time that it was all about doing algebra correctly and didn't fail).

In USA any 5th grade student should have known the correct answer. And Shame on anyone who is a programmer and doesn't know it.

Ha ha so correct!! but honestly they all get so busy with coding and have more in their minds that these basic things just slip away from mind!

26. You should know this much being a programmer!!

there I was thinking it was a mathematical operation.
as for the result, nyup, * has the upper hand there, so 6+20, not that hard to figure out :)

That's fine, BDove :D

Isn't there a committee for for C as there is for C++ ?

I like calculus, very useful in all aspects of life. It's great you noticed soon ;) Did you tell the others?

Please let us forget about my error. ;)

We are not the only ones who make algebraic errors. If done correctly a C program can be manipulated to commit an error like this. Look:

#define FOO 8
#define BAR 4
#define FOOBAR FOO+BAR

printf ("The answer is %d\n", 6*FOOBAR);

The program would throw 52 instead of 72. Crazy, eh? :) Look at the complete article: http://mirrors.zoreil.com/webclub.kcom.ne.jp/ma/colinp/win32/basics/baddefine.html

I used to commit theses errors too when I took my calculus class. Most students who fail at calculus fail because of algebraical errors (though I managed to notice in time that it was all about doing algebra correctly and didn't fail).

You do have a point! Programmers have sometimes far more important things to be concerned about :) Sometimes.

It depends what country for year 5s.

Ha ha so correct!! but honestly they all get so busy with coding and have more in their minds that these basic things just slip away from mind!

I do :)

This thread is for fun and not all seriousness. Of course I know that all of you here know that ;)

26. You should know this much being a programmer!!

Good on ya ;)

Can you please clarify what you mean by nyup? I think I get what you mean but need to clarify.

there I was thinking it was a mathematical operation.
as for the result, nyup, * has the upper hand there, so 6+20, not that hard to figure out :)

Total calculation of these numaric value output are:- 26.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.