I'm posting this in the expert category because I need some expert opinion or advice. There is no wrong or right answer, just need opinion from people who are experienced in IT.

I have to do a research paper that provides "substantive analysis" on the future of a given technology (IT related). The list we can pick from are all things I've never worked with such as broadband networks, Information Security, Telecom Management, etc. The only category he gives that I remotely know anything about is Web Design and Development. So, that is the category I need to focus on.

I need to focus on one aspect within Web Design & Development and write the paper on my opinion about the future of it, backing it up with evidence.

I have some experience with html. I know that html5 is the wave of the future for this language. What do you think of html5 for a 12 page double spaced paper? I guess I have to keep it focused.

So, I'm just posting this to see what kind of ideas others might have for an inexperienced person. This class is about the management of IT, which seems like it should be required AFTER a person has more hands on skills training in the technology itself.

I can only speculate on the future of something I don't have experience with. I keep thinking about html5 just because its the closest to anything I know about.

Thanks for any input.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You haven't provided too much info on the program or the course so there isn't much context for your question. I would interpret "management of IT" as being the impact on Corporations (and their IT departments) of the future direction of one of these technologies. Your ability to provide a "substantive analysis" will depend on your ability to find good source materials about the expected technical direction and the impact that will have. Your instructor's expectation of what a substantive analysis should contain will depend on the level of the course (high school, PHD or somewhere in between!).

With respect to HTML5, it probably will have a significant impact since web sites are becoming more graphics-intense as time goes on; and, HTML5 will have some similar capabilities to existing vendor products, especially Flash, that currently fill much of that need. Is there enough info available to do a "substantive analysis". You'll only know that once you start digging.

I'm posting this in the expert category because I need some expert opinion or advice. There is no wrong or right answer, just need opinion from people who are experienced in IT.

I have to do a research paper that provides "substantive analysis" on the future of a given technology (IT related). The list we can pick from are all things I've never worked with such as broadband networks, Information Security, Telecom Management, etc. The only category he gives that I remotely know anything about is Web Design and Development. So, that is the category I need to focus on.

I need to focus on one aspect within Web Design & Development and write the paper on my opinion about the future of it, backing it up with evidence.

I have some experience with html. I know that html5 is the wave of the future for this language. What do you think of html5 for a 12 page double spaced paper? I guess I have to keep it focused.

So, I'm just posting this to see what kind of ideas others might have for an inexperienced person. This class is about the management of IT, which seems like it should be required AFTER a person has more hands on skills training in the technology itself.

I can only speculate on the future of something I don't have experience with. I keep thinking about html5 just because its the closest to anything I know about.

Thanks for any input.

Can you give us more information in regards to what the project is about??

and a blast from the past... there is a lot that IT can do but it is always going to be restricted by the human end of the machine. By this I mean the keyboard has lasted a long time as humans know how to use it. However you can only reduce the size of a keyboard (even with mobile phones etc) to a size that human fingers can work with. the same is true of the amount and type of information that you put on a screen for both the professional and also for the beginner!
and finally there is also the purpose for which the information technology is being applied. The purpose may well determine how the IT is applied but that also has boundaries where human limitations apply. (eg: computers can fly aeroplanes but passenger reaction to landing blind prevents that!(well almost!)
enjoy your course.
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.