I don't know if this is the right section to post this thread but just correct me if this is not...

I just graduated BSIT and I am planning to apply as a programmer or Software engineer

but I am wondering, to be a good programmer, do you need to be analytic person?

I read on the internet that Software Engineer is the one who design the software so as SE do you need to be good in designing?

but I'm not an analytic person nor good in designing..

Sorry about my english..

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just be good at a what you know and what you are, rest all will follow you. See your interest and accordingly nourish it. You can alsways change the old theories with your knowledge and expertise. Be a trend setter and not a follower.

but I'm not an analytic person nor good in designing..

Experience and effort often trumps natural talent. As long as you enjoy what you do, lack of talent shouldn't stop you from trying.

Being good at designing software requires being an analytic person. It's not a completely separate trait. (There are analytic people who can be bad at designing software though, like the archetypal too-smart-for-his-own-good software developer who doesn't need to make things simple and thus doesn't know how.) There is no escape from the need to be smart.

Fortunately you can get smarter with effort.

Edit: But no, being a "Software Engineer" does not mean you're the one designing the software.

Everyone is analytical to a greater or lesser degree. Ever ask a question when you didn't understand something? That's the essence of analysis. Or, as the old saying goes, "Inside every big problem are a bunch of little problems struggling to get out." Analysis is identifying all the little problems. Solving them is (of course) a separate issue.

Depending on the company and/or environment you work in, you can be a good programmer if you can follow instructions. Back in the day, a "pure" programmer would get a specification from a designer and be expected to implement the spec as working code. No alterations, no additions, no flourishes, bells, whistles, etc. How "good" you were as a programmer was contingent on how quickly (and how closely) you followed spec.

These days however (since not everyone works as a mainframer for a DOD contractor), you will probably be expected to make some guesses and/or assumptions about what you have to produce. The ability to analyze, and to use your experience to ask the right questions is what, frankly, will keep you employed AS a programmer.

My $.02 worth.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.