Hello, all.

I'm fresh into a career change ... Former Business grad w/several years of management experience, and just finished up at a tech school with an AAS in Software Development.

To make a long story short, I took a position through Robert Half Tech that is a three-month contract-to-hire doing some application development on a Microsoft Dynamics system. It's a small (under 30) supply chain/logistics company, with a pretty small IT team. They have actually brought me on to replace the previous person that retired earlier in the year. They've expressed to me that they intend to hire me on as an FTE once the three months is up, and (right or wrong) I'm pretty confident they will. The only reason they even hired me through RHT was because that is who they have gotten Accounting/Purchasing people in the past.

Anyway, on to my question.

I'm about a month into the position ... and I like it a lot so far. I'm assuming that the company I am working for does not know how much I am making through RHT (from what I've read on various boards, anyway) ... so I'm wondering what I should expect to be offered when/if I do get put on FTE status?

I'm sure people on this board have experience with this ... could you give me your experiences? Were you able to negotiate a pretty decent rate? Was it more or less than what you were making through the staffing agency?

Thanks in advance!

Well, it depends on many things e.g. what technolgy in you are working, your responsbilities, the State in which you are working. There are many website in which you can judge your skills, work experience and residential area's salaries range.

Well, it depends on many things e.g. what technolgy in you are working, your responsbilities, the State in which you are working. There are many website in which you can judge your skills, work experience and residential area's salaries range.

Thanks for the response, Sufyan.

I am aware that there are salary websites out there, and they have given me an idea of what I should be making in this particular position.

I am more looking for people's experience with the "Contract-to-HIre through a staffing agency" thing. I'd just like to know what I might expect when it comes time to convert to FTE. I've read conflicting reports various websites, and I believe that some posters don't understand the difference between a contract-to-hire position like this one, and a straight contractor position.

I want to know if the rate I make now typically goes up/down/stays the same once I convert to FTE.

Yes, you are right, I am contractor by one recuirting company and getting per hour rate. Beleive me, I learned from my experience that you can't predict or decide what would be your compensation in term of money and benefit because previously I was full time employee and getting almost half than my current pay, one thing that you should consider that Contractor usually have more pay as full time employee because he is working as temporary worker and can be fired any time. But when you will be full time employee, atleast you have somehow job security and would have benefits like 401K, medical, paid vavactions etc that I think is attractive if you are family person. So the point is that you might have less pay as FTE but consider other benefits. Please share when you will be on that position.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.