I became a grandad for the fourth time today. Gracie is beautiful.

Later thus week I will find out if I am going blind in one eye and how long that process will take, and importantly if it will spread to the other eye. Final tests on Friday, in the meantime my vision is really quite poor indeed. Haemorrhage behind my 'good' eye leaving me with a large distorted area and just my bad 'lazy' eye to rely upon.

Gracie makes up for everything though :)

~s.o.s~ commented: Hope your test on Friday comes out to be fine! +0

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I became a grandad for the fourth fine today. Gracie is beautiful.

Later thus week I will find out if I am going blind in one eye and how long that process will take, and importantly if it will spread to the other eye. Final tests on Friday, in the meantime my vision is really quite poor indeed. Haemorrhage behind my 'good' eye leaving me with a large distorted area and just my bad 'lazy' eye to rely upon.

Gracie makes up for everything though :)

Maybe this ought to be in the 'DaniWeb Community Feedback' forum, but posts like this, do make me wonder why it's impossible not to give a 'like' and a 'dislike'.

congratulations on your grandchild (which probably has your haircut at the moment, I presume?) and I hope everything 'll turn out fine with your eye.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Sorry to hear about your eyes happyGeek.

It's terrible when someone becomes afflicted by illness... Sometimes we sit down and ask ourselves... 'Why me?' What did I do to deserve this?'

I'm sure we've all done it. I do it all the time, and it's over simple, little things.

Truth is, no one has an answer. Sometimes you just have to accept something as 'IS'.

That way when something special happens, like the birth of you granddaughter, you appreciate it for all that it is... and it looks like this is what you are doing.

I'm not one to endorse mumbo jumbo spirituality, but if you haven't read 'Eckole Tolhart's -The Power of Now' I recommend doing so.

Of course, that being said, I wish you good health.

Congratulations and ..... aww, I'm sorry to hear that, all at once. At least you get to say that you have the blessing of being able to see her ;)

Member Avatar for diafol

Good luck buddy.

Thanks. Really not looking forward to tomorrow, but at the same time want to know exactly what I'm facing be it good or bad. Much easier to deal with then.

well i must Congrats you on this Good news and i will suggest you to continue it and i hope you will do so and keep it up

Congratulations on the new granddaughter. Can we get an update on the vision problem? I hope you have some good news.

The bad news is that I've had three Lucentis injections into the eye now, and sadly they are not working as well as expected. The consultant opthalmologist I am under tells me the blood vessel growth is still very active and aggressive (I have Wet Macular Degeneration, in my case a genetic thing rather than age related). I'm booked in for another injection, along with further angiography, in a couple of weeks. Following that, and depending upon what the scans reveal of the precise structure of the blood vessel growth at this stage, I may have to undergo some laser surgery in addition to the injections (scheduled for one a month over the next 18 months I am told) in order to try and stabilise things.

The worse news is that there is a 50% chance it will hit my remaining eye within the next five years.

The good news is that, with the aid of a number of tech accessories, I have found a way to continue working - albeit a bit more slowly than before. :)

Sorry to hear that news.

Congratulations on the grandchild! I'm sad to hear that such a strong contributor to daniweb is losing their sight. Maybe you can be as prolific as the great Leonhard Euler, who lost sight in one eye, but continued making discoveries. I wish you well, and encourage you to eat wild caught seafood and vegetables in addition to whatever treatment the doctor prescribes.

I'm sorry to hear that. We'll all keep hoping for better news to come.

Well the good news is that you are alive and as I can understand you have love from family and friends … I hope to keep that status for many … many years …

Congrats on your fourth grand-kid!

I'm really sorry to hear about your eye affliction.. I wish you the best of luck and success in treatments.

Being the robotic geek that I am, I have to mention this. Coincidently, a couple of weeks ago, I just attended this plenary talk (which you can watch on video) on intra-ocular micro-robotics to perform exactly the kind of interventions that you would need to treat Wet Macular Degeneration, in a way that is much less invasive and much more precise. I doubt that this technology would be ready within 5 years, but they are already doing eye surgery on rabbits and pigs with this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.