My venerable tower just quit working. Panicsville. I found my keyboard didn't answer any boot handshakes. tried several keyboards all were non responsive. computer boots to password sign in screen. no keyboard...no password. There must be a way to get in to my winxp(sp3) machine and take what I want off the drives and donate the box to the gold recovery team at the landfill.
johnd

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Samir

There must be a way to get in to my winxp(sp3) machine and take what I want off the drives

If you are unable to resolve your keyboard/booting issue, you could always pull out the drives, plug them into another system via USB/IDE interface, read the drives and copy off your important data to another storage device.

Not sure which keyboard socket you're referring to but I am assuming it's a USB port. Have you tried other USB ports in your computer? Other USB keyboards perhaps?

The keyboard socket is on the motherboard next to the mouse socket. No it's not a USB keyboard. But i was wondering if a wireless keyboard would get me past the password screen. Any views on that anyone?
johnd

Would a wireless keyboard get me past the password screen? I know my password, I just need to be able to enter it.

Edited by jaydee2

Normally a wireless keyboard will function similarly to USB keyboard. If you can get to the Windows logon screen then it is most likely to work. I would suggest a wired USB keyboard though as it normally have drivers ready as soon as you plug them in.

edit:
one more thing, if you can move the mouse then I believe you can access the on-screen keyboard from the logon screen

Edited by oalee: added info.

If you have a plug for your keyboard, try using a usb keyboard instead. The socket may have failed.

But be warned! Other sockets may also start to fail after a period of time. As long as you can get around them, you can still keep working. I've got a thin client where the ethernet, parallel port, and mouse socket stopped working. One usb ethernet, usb printer and usb mouse later, it's still working.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.