From a usability standpoint, is it alright for a dynamic website to require the use of browser cookies in order to be fully operable (ie is it still necessary in 2006)? Or do messy session URLs still have a necessary place in Internet land?

From a usability standpoint, is it alright for a dynamic website to require the use of browser cookies in order to be fully operable (ie is it still necessary in 2006)? Or do messy session URLs still have a necessary place in Internet land?

Cookies can get you around in 2006 but still most people (especially administrators) like to block cookies. Several users don't really care about browser settings and blindly follow what someone has configured for them. You wouldn't want them to complain that something was borked, would you? ;)

Presently, I am developing an application using Tapestry. One feature I liked about Tapestry was that it allowed using either of the two mechanisms depending on browser settings. This is particularly good because I don't like my users calling me up and asking me silly questions (atleast they are silly to me).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.