I am new to the field of IT I just recently received a cert. in PC Repair and I am currently attending college for my MBA in IT of SCI. Now I have been currently looking for a job in the PC Repair field with no luck. I am also in the process of getting A + certified for I was told that I won't find any work with out it. Yet looking at some of the threads on this web page people are getting jobs without it. Am I doing something wrong or is it for the reason that I am changing fields? I have been in light industrial for 4 yrs and was growing tired of it and if that is the reason how can I change my luck. I am really getting discourage and open for any advice on this.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't know if things have changed for you since you posted this last month but like anything else, you need to keep at it. It can take some time even if you have experience. The last time I was downsized, it took 4 months to get the right position-and I have a lot of years and a lot of letters that can be put after my name. Actually, the more experience you have the more likely it will take longer since you will be considered "over qualified" for most stuff and will be after senior level positions anyways.

The A+ may or may not get you into the door and is a good thing for entry level to have so I wouldn't discourage you from getting it. MCSA/MCSE also are resume attention grabbers. Your major is an MBA so are you planning on going into IT management or on the support/engineering side?

As for getting your foot in the door, the best way if you lack experience may be to do social networking. Ask friends and relatives if there are any openings or if there is even a temporary need. Try to get an interview with an MIS manager from someone on the inside-you never know if that may lead to an opening later. Join local user groups and attend any meetings and let folks there know what you want to do. Don't forget about the job boards like Dice/Monster/Computerjobs.com and any others. My most recent position was filled from posting my resume out on computerjobs.com so it does work.

Although I have received job offers from recruiters, Dice and the like, I've also been placed at companies because someone I knew worked there and provided a referral. It can work both ways.

I would suggest working on at least one operating system exam, be it Microsoft, Apple, or Linux/Unix-based. Since you are already working on your A+, finish that first then jump on to one of the OS exams.

My reason behind this is based on what I heard from a friend looking for jobs in the field. He had mentioned a few situations where he had made it to the interview process and they listened to him talk about his 6-7 months experience (we hired him for 6 months after he interned for us right out of his technical schooling program). More than once he got feedback indicating that if he had a Microsoft certification, that they would be willing to hiring him (he had A+ and Network+ certs already).

Personally, I believe the Microsoft exams are more recognizable than the CompTia A+ and Network+ exams.

Next, remember that your resume needs to get you past the HR department's initial look and on to the hiring manager. Many of the HR reps may not be well versed in computer acronyms because they can change frequently. Make it easy for HR to understand what you can do for their company. Even though I manage the database servers, web server, and develop applications in the company, the HR manager still thinks I'm help desk.

In addition, applying for jobs at companies in the same industry you worked in should give you an advantage. Make them understand on your resume that you know their industry.

For example, "4 years experience in the wombat herding industry" may be a nice bullet point near the top of the resume as well as mentioning it in the cover letter. You'll bring specific user side knowledge to the IT department of a company in that industry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.