heres the scenario

Running XP with default Internet Explorer that came with it (IE 6 ??? not sure)

when surfing any website there is no problem, however whenever i goto a website and click a link which trys to open another seperate window the new window is just blank and nothing appears. I have not configured any settings for IE im using straight away after installing XP

has anyone else has this problem and know the easiest quickest way to solve it ? does it require d/l IE6 service pack 1 from microsoft website

i read somthing about having to d/l and reinstall visual basic script support (scr56en.exe) is this is the answer for XP ?

cheers

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

you need the patch for sure
IE/Tools/Windows Update

I use mozilla browser its faster
Download here

I have the same problem, but still dont know how to fix it yet.

Why does everyone use Winblows Internet Exploiter

1: It may have its problems, but so does Mozilla.
2: It's intergrated with Windows

Why does everyone use Winblows Internet Exploiter

Because it's there. Why would Joe Home User want to download a new browser, especially if he's unfamiliar with the new Dell he just received at his doorstop?

Because it's there. Why would Joe Home User want to download a new browser, especially if he's unfamiliar with the new Dell he just received at his doorstop?

Unfamiliar are you insulting his intellegence here its just a freakin browser not NASA equipment browsers should be easy to use no problems like www.mozilla.com
Come on guys you have lost this battle IE suks!!! Where are all the problems and questions about mozilla or opera ....thats right boys they dont exist....Night...Night..its past your bed times!!!
Defeat must suck

1: It may have its problems, but so does Mozilla.

May have its problems dude wipe the sleep out of your eyes it does have problems hundreds of problems.
These mozilla reports must have not made it to any boards yet because I havent seen any!

Could it be because "doorstop" is the right term to use in this context? What better time to take greater control of your system? (Well, after you download all the patches needed by your "fully installed" Windows XP.) We are suggesting Mozilla so strongly because Internet Explorer (IE) is so fundamentally broken as to be rather dangerous in many ways. Let's look at the facts:

* Microsoft has admitted, in print, that IE has serious problems--but that they will not be fixed until the next version of Windows. Paraphrase: "There will be no new stand-alone versions of IE." That new version of Windows, currently codenamed Longhorn, is not slated for release until 2006 at the earliest.

* There are dozens of critical vunerabilities in IE, many unpatched for years. In fact, many of these flaws cannot be fixed. Because it is "integrated" with Windows, the whole system is made massively vunerable.

* ActiveX controls are high on this list, and so closely related to the DCOM/RPC vunerabilities exploited by the Blaster worm and its variants as to represent a gaping hole in any security wall a user tries to erect, including hardware firewalls. When a website uses ActiveX controls exclusively, it is exposing its users to unintended consequences through potential malicious exploits. This also excludes other operating systems, and even other browsers, from accessing those controls--a slap in the face to the "universal" Internet.

* The Java Virtual Machine that has shipped with Windows for many years is about to be pulled; good riddance. Its Java implementation was broken-by-design to such an obvious extent that Sun won a court judgement against Microsoft. By using this bad Java implementation in IE, MS was able to force more sites to use ActiveX and other proprietary controls to get the needed functionality. Whether you use IE or Mozilla, download and install the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) from Sun right away. At this time, it is unclear what effect that the recent settlement between MS and Sun will have on Java.

* Mozilla Mail is inherently more secure and flexible than Outlook Express. Do the names Melissa and Kournikova mean anything to you? Applying patches over patches on such an inherently poor code base is like patching a rotten tire over and over again--and makes the same amount of sense.

* The implementation of several useful Internet standards developed since 1997 (the time of the last major revision to the IE code base) are seriously hampered by the dominance of IE. These include (but are not limited to) cascading style sheets (CSS), dynamic HTML (DHTML), and extensible markup language (XML). The last is especially ironic, given how loudly MS is talking about its (mangled) XML in Office 2003.

* Last, but not least, Mozilla has many intrinsic features that are kludgy add-ons to IE. These features include tabbed browsing, an integrated pop-up stopper, better cookie controls and other improved security features, and much more. The pretty-cool Maxthon front end for IE (formerly MyIE2) adds some of these features, but does not fix the underlying security issues. The Windows XP Service Pack 2 also addresses some of these issues (most notably, more control over ActiveX), but Windows 98/Me users are still out in the cold--and winter's comin'.

The above discussion applies not only to the integrated Mozilla browser/mail/HTML editor suite, but also to the next-generation stand-alone Firefox browser and Thunderbird mail reader, also available from Mozilla.org.

I know many of you will not use Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer, just as many will not use in place of Microsoft Office, or Linux instead of Windows--but to be ignorant of the problems inherent in any path that you choose involving something as integral to your life as your computing (truth, or you wouldn't be here :)) is like walking across a freeway during rush hour, blindfolded, and trusting the drivers to not hit you.

Now thats a wealth of knowledge!!!!That ROBIN and friengd Have to see

Try this:

Go to Start, then Run and type the following command:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

heres the scenario

Running XP with default Internet Explorer that came with it (IE 6 ??? not sure)

when surfing any website there is no problem, however whenever i goto a website and click a link which trys to open another seperate window the new window is just blank and nothing appears. I have not configured any settings for IE im using straight away after installing XP

has anyone else has this problem and know the easiest quickest way to solve it ? does it require d/l IE6 service pack 1 from microsoft website

i read somthing about having to d/l and reinstall visual basic script support (scr56en.exe) is this is the answer for XP ?

cheers

The same thing was happening to me on an HP running XPhome that I was forced to use at work.

I'd try to put something on eBay and get a preview using IE6 with ALL the Service Packs installed, and the new window was blank AND I couldn't upload a single picture attachment - made my job very tough.

I knew that this particular system was riddled with a Netscape/AOL conspiracy that gave me other IE6 problems described elsewhere in the Forums.

I spent a whole day trying to figure out what to do. The XP came with NS7 and AOL and IE6. I Settings>Add/Removed NS7 and AOL against the machine's wishes and got my IE6 to behave as I expected it to.

I'm a novice. I don't know the meaning of what I did in terms of Run: stuff and .exe stuff and registry whatnots. The result was favorable however. I was able to see new windows in IE6 and upload pictures in eBay and that's all I was expected to do at my job.

Unless you are advised not to, uninstall NS7 and AOL stuff the proper way from your XP. I'm almost 100% certain you will find a happy and obliging IE6 after a reboot.

ps - I've since put up such a fuss at work that they let me build my own machine from the ground, up that runs 2000NT.

I, too, am getting a blank window when I right click + open, and also when I click a link. I clicked Big "B" Affleck's MOZILLA link (above) and got a blank popup window. This started about a week ago, otherwise I've been using IE6 on Win2000 for years with no problems. The only thing I've installed recently is a Windows Update, and I don't have NS or any other browser installed.

In some cases, deleting the internet temp files will help

Close all open applications and then open a command prompt (to do this select Run from the Start menu) and in the Open: box type:

regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll

You don't have to restart the computer afterwards.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281679

You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link

This article was previously published under Q281679 
SYMPTOMS
When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: 
Nothing occurs. 
The new window may be blank. 
You may receive a scripting error message that is similar to the following error message: 

No such interface supported.
Internet Explorer may not respond when you click Print or Print Preview in the File menu.
When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message: 

The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred. 
CAUSE
This behavior may occur for one or more of the following reasons: 
The (Default) value setting in one or more of the following registry keys points to an incorrect location for the Urlmon.dll file: 
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9e0-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f1-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

This Behavior May Occur if you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0.
The following registry key is missing or damaged:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 

One or more of the following files is missing, damaged, or improperly registered: 
Urlmon.dll
Mshtml.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shell32.dll
Shdocvw.dll
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps: 
Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below): 
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)
If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

If the problem is still not resolved, reinstall Internet Explorer. If you are using the version of Internet Explorer that is included with your operating system, reinstall or repair your operating system.
Internet Explorer Administration Kit Users
If this problem occurs after you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0 and is resolved by re-registering the Urlmon.dll file, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the appropriate fix below. 
IEAK for Internet Explorer 6
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
[url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[/url][LN];CNTACTMS 

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.    Date         Time   Version        Size     File name
   ------------------------------------------------------
   11-Oct-2001  19:45  6.0.2710.1100  189,440  Ie6wzd.exe

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie6wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package. 

Important If Automatic Version Synchronization (AVS) is applied to your IEAK installation after you use this fix, you must manually apply this hotfix again.
IEAK for Internet Explorer 5.5
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.    Date         Time    Version         Size     File name 
   --------------------------------------------------------
   18-Dec-2000  17:22   5.50.4612.1800  183,056  Ie5wzd.exe
Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package, but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie5wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package. 

Important If Automatic Version Synchronization (AVS) is applied to your IEAK installation after you use this fix, you must manually apply this hotfix again.

IEAK for Internet Explorer 5.01

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.    Date         Time     Version        Size      File name 
   ---------------------------------------------------------
   01-Nov-2000  11:01a   5.0.3210.3100  177,424   Ie5wzd.exe 

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package, but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie5wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package. 

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
Last Reviewed: 5/13/2004 (5.1)  
Keywords: kbbug kbenv kbfix kbIE550preSP2fix kbIE600preSP1fix kbIE600sp1fix KB281679

Hey,

It does work, great!!

Thanks a lot. :D

Thanks a million for your replys on "regsvr32 /s urlmondll." It was all that was needed to fix the problem. :D

Try this:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Just a quick note to let you know that I was just baffled with this little problem. Did a search on Google and found this thread here at your forums. The fix that you suggested worked like a charm....thanks! :)

Hi,

I recently bought a HP laptop with windows XP. everything seemed to be working fine..till now..and i seem to have encountered a similar problem.

and i have a feeling the problem started after some XP updates were automatically installed.

anyways...i wanted to thank you for this solution...it worked wonderfully well!!! i now have my fingers crossed!!!

Archana

Try this:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Member Avatar for DarkCoil

Try this:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

This looks familiar what exactly does that do?
Thanks

a quick easy fix is to clear your cookies and cache in your internet options. also make sure you do have your windows updates. Also, do you have any pop-up blockers? if you do, make sure to turn them off. i've seen them created problems like that.

Try this:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

This worked for me, and I want to thank you very much for posting it!
You other people should stick to the topic.

All those other posts before this were way off topic and completely useless. Learn from this person and post information relavent to troubleshooting the issue at hand. Switching to another browser is not fixing the problem.

Thanks again Scarwile!!

Alienreptile9

IE has me by the balls. I goto school at Devry Online. I liked FireFox. Especially the tab feature. I bet IE 7.0 has it though...lol...Anyway, it only takes Netscape or IE 6.0

I have the same problem, but still dont know how to fix it yet.

I can't tell if you are having the exact same problem i had. I was running IE6 with SP2.

one day i couldn't use the "open in new window" for links. If i did, the page would come up blank and fail to load. Links in web pages that opened up on another page would also come up blank.
Also, my IE browser built-in popup blocker wasn't working any more, despite it being turned on with high filter level.

After about a week of searching i found this fix from Microsoft. Sometimes just having the right wording in your search makes all the difference :)

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll and then click OK.
Repeat for each of the following files (replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below)

• Shdocvw.dll
• Actxprxy.dll
• Oleaut32.dll
• Mshtml.dll
• Browseui.dll
• Shell32.dll

Now restart Windows

It worked great for me. Let me know if this doesn't resolve your problem.

Hi DanceswithElves, and welcome to Daniweb.

We're always happy to see more people here who will offer advice to others, but please be careful not to 'resurrect' older topics with information which has already been posted in the topic. If you read through, you'll notice that several people already mentioned the 'regsrvr32 urlmon.dll' trick. ;)

I really liked the clearly written way you presented it though! Please continue to hang around here :D

And yet another person adds the same information that's already been mentioned several times, right after I've just asked for that not to happen!

Thread closed!

If anyone has any new and relevent comment to add, please PM me and I'll consider reopening the thread for them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.