:idea: Hey ALL! :idea:

Another newbie to the forum!

:mrgreen:

I remember bookmarking this aaaaaages ago. I dont come on, very often. Now and then. But thought I'd sign up. I'm intrested in website design/development and know a little bit of html and css, and a little php too (not very much though!)

I want to expand the little knowledge I currently have, create applications with php, and do some intergrating. Anyway look farward to reading more and posting. :)

100% - :cool:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Awesome ... always good to turn a lurker into a member.

Awesome ... always good to turn a lurker into a member.

Yeh. I think I found the site looking how to build online communities, when I was doing SEO type research a while ago.

Im looking for video tutorials to help me, increase my knowledge of web design, found afew, I might make a topic on it soon. Where abouts should I put it?

:)

A question, what do you think of AJAX? I hear its just a mix of Javascript, DOM (dont know what that means though), and XML (nor that). I thought it was cool, but it just seems to be eye candy, because ive read that it has assesibility issues, like not being able to bookmark for example.

Another thing, now I know we as web programmers or whatever, should not pit one language against another, but do you think ruby, a reletivly new programming language is all that people are making it out to be? Is it as good as php? And what language would you use for a larger web applications?

:)

If you are interested in Ajax, here's a concise tutorial. There are tutorials available for XML and DOM too.

I wouldn't be able to help much on Ruby mainly because I have worked with J2EE (and recently with a small PHP based application, which I felt I could have done better with J2EE). I have been hearing that it is an object oriented language with cleaner syntax (much like what I heard of Python). I hope it is better than PHP so that I might take a look at it myself. :)

Don't diss PHP :) I'm such a PHP gal! AJAX basically lets you do some nifty server-side things without refreshing the page. Want a quick example? Make a post on DaniWeb and then hit the Edit This Post button for a demo of what AJAX can do. You might also notice that when you use the Quick Reply form around here, your post automatically appears in the thread without the page being refreshed. For another example of AJAX, go into your Control Panel and click on the Send New PM link. Begin to enter my username, "cscgal", and you'll notice that a drop down list will appear of usernames to select from.

Don't diss PHP :) I'm such a PHP gal! AJAX basically lets you do some nifty server-side things without refreshing the page. Want a quick example? Make a post on DaniWeb and then hit the Edit This Post button for a demo of what AJAX can do. You might also notice that when you use the Quick Reply form around here, your post automatically appears in the thread without the page being refreshed. For another example of AJAX, go into your Control Panel and click on the Send New PM link. Begin to enter my username, "cscgal", and you'll notice that a drop down list will appear of usernames to select from.

I'm not against PHP. Many developers find it convenient. I'm just a C++ --> Java guy and I prefer building web applications in J2EE. I didn't find myself comfortable with PHP.

I have done a bit of Ajax stuff myself. It's cool but that could be done with any serverside language. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.