Hello, there is a lengthy thread titled, "100% CPU usage & hardware interrupts", that i posted last year. If you skim through that, you will know what problems i had. I did not manage to fix the problems & had to do a format & start from scratch. Normally i get an expert to do that, but i had a go & was completely successful & it got rid of all the problems too.
Trouble is, IT'S BACK AGAIN. This is now the 4th time the exact SAME problems are back. Normally, after a reformat the problems occur after about 2 to 3 months, but this time we have lasted 6 months. I have run Nortons, CW Shredder, Spybot, Adaware, Registry Mechanic, & PC Medic. These have found NO PROBLEMS & tell me the system is completely clean. So i really do not want to go down the road of looking for viruses/ adware/spywear/trojans etc. because there are'nt any present. I'm not going to continue on this thread, but would like to have a few days trying to solve the problem as i'm fed up of having to start from scratch every time this problem re-appears.
So come on then! I will try any suggestions that may appear on here. I will leave it about a week, & if there is a list of suggestions, i will try them all, then, if not successful.....do a reboot.
The following is a list of all of the symtoms of this horrible thing. Please do not think there maybe several different causes or several different faults causing these symtoms. IT IS DEFINITELY THE ONE THING. One day, everthing is 100% OK. Then suddenly it's back again. Here goes..........& a prize for the winner.
1. Problem usually re-appears suddenly after about 3 months of a format.
2. After switching on the PC, when it gets to the "user name" screen, the curser will jump & skip to the edges of the screen. I will have to wait about 20 seconds until the "user name" boxes light up, then i can control the mouse ok to click on a user.
3. Then when the PC is booting up to show the desktop, the standard microsoft welcome music will miss, distort & crackle. Someone, last year suggested i go to controll panel options & turn off the welcome tune! BRILLIANT IDEA! Hehehe.
4. There is 100% CPU usage when opening absolutely anything. Multi-tasking is out of the question. There is no way, for instance to open a doc. or surf the web whilst playing music, the music will stop & start until the other task is completed.
5. When typing in a familiar web address in the usual place at the top of the screen, there is the AUTO COMPLETE that fills the remainder of the address for you. When i type in the www. + a few letters, then i've got to wait 15 seconds before the auto complete does its job.
6. When either windows update or nortons update is on the go, it tells me i can carry on working while the updates are being done. WRONG! i've got to wait until they have finished because all of the PC's resources are being used & cannot do a thing until they have finished.
7. Downloads are fast, & the computer does not ever crash & web surfing is fast......until i ask the PC to do something else at the SAME time.
I've gone to msconfig & started the PC with just the bare essentials but the above problems are still there.
Before i did the last format, i uninstalled & erased just about everything possible one by one to try and find the culprit. But the problems were still there until i did a format.
Un-installing BT Broadband made things a lot better, maybe 75% better, but still did not fix the problems entirely, so it can't really be that, after all, the PC is completely fine for about 3 months with everything installed. Also, uninstalling Nortons anti virus eases, but does not get rid of the problems & same again, it can't be Nortons causing it as everything is completely brilliant for 3 months.......(6 months this time), with everything installed.
Using windows XP & all other operating system can be found on the other thread from last year...."100 cpu usage & hardware interrupts".
Like i said, i won't be continuing with this thread, but would appreciate some suggestions, even some 'stabs in the dark', some educated guesses..........anything at all i will try & will get back to tell you which one did the trick!