I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU usage all the time.I don`t know which process is taking all the resources.Even P1 will be better than my notebook.Is there is any solution to this?
The new hard disk is of 40 GB.My notebook is toshiba satellite A15 1292.It has 256 MB RAM,2.4 GHz,intel celeron mobile processer.It was working fine with the older hard disk.
Please help me,tell me any solution.Please explain in detail as I don`t know any technical terms.I searched all over internet about this ploblem and got to know that this is quite common,but everybody has different reasons and solutions.I tried some solutions also like deleted some registry entries,which were mentioned on that site,and also uninstalled MS office,but nothing worked.Other solutions were containing very technical terms which I could not understand.So please tell me a step by step procedure for solving this problem.I will be glad to give any other info you want about my notebook.
Please help me,I will be very thankful.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi,

Two questions immediately come to mind.

Firstly, when it takes 15 mins to boot, where is the time spent, out of the following boot phases (not a technical term, just made these up), or do they all take too long;

Phase 1 - POST (PowerOn Self Test) This is the part where you have Black background with White Text - Should take about 20secs max
Phase 2 - Windows Splash Screen - This is the two screens with the Windows logo, the second of which has a loading bar. - Depending on the Pc, no more than 2 mins.
Phase 3 - Loading the desktop. After phase 2, this will either be a blank screen, (usually green), or you desktop wallpaper, and will slowly load icons and start menu onto your screen, again this should take 2 mins max.

Out of those 3 phases, which takes the most time.

Secondly, "There is windows xp professional in the new one". Does this mean that you / someone has installed a fresh copy of Windows on your laptop since the hard drive was put in, or was this installed on the drive before it was fitted to your laptop. If it was the latter, this would explain your problem, as being HAL (Hardware Abstract Layer - to do with Device Driver configurations) conflicts. The best way to sort this problem in my opinion is to reinstall Windows, but can be attempted through Device Manager.

most of the time is spent in the third and second stage.
And xp was installed in the hard disk by someone else,but it was not previously installed.So do you think the solution is to reinstall xp?
One more thing,the one who installed xp was saying that notebook was slow already when he initialized installation.He said that it took him one whole night to install.I don`t know but may be he is lying,as far as I know him.
How can I reinstall xp from device manager?

Hey,

Device Manager is used for reinstalling drivers on your system.

Reinstalling Windows XP, would be one solution to start again. Some people are critical of suggesting reinstalling XP, without trying too hard to solve the problem. I find that I reinstall Windows XP alot, because it is quicker to do, than spend time trying to fix the machine, and provides better results overall.

To reinstall XP

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, see your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
3. You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that appears:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.

4. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

From the next menu, select "Install a Fresh copy of Windows XP".

In the following menu, it should show current drives. Select the C:\ Drive, and press D to delete this partition. Then press Enter then L (or L then Enter).

Select now the "Unpartioned Space", and press "C" to create partition. Press Enter on the next screen to confirm the size of the partition. You should now have a C:\ drive again.

Press Enter, with C:\ drive selected, to Install Windows on that drive, and Format with NTFS.

The rest, follow on screen instructions. For more info

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdoldhdd/index.htm

(sorry about the Edit)

I would also defrag the disk, run chkdsk /r, but it just might be that a reinstall is in order. I would also look at the task manager to see what is eating up the CPU.

I tried to see task manager also but I did not got that what is eating CPU.Is my new HDD is not fully compatible with my notebook? I also reinstalled xp,but it took whole night and to no effect.Please tell something.

Copied from PM, for any other input;
________

I had a search for "laptop hard drives for Toshiba A15" on google;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=laptop+hard+drives+for+Toshiba+A15&meta=

The following top link actually allows you to specify a particular Hard Drive, but to my knowledge they are all the same.

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Toshiba,Laptop,Part,P000364090.aspx

With regards to your hard drive, it must be compatible, or it just wouldn't work at all. Have you still got a Warranty on the product, you could replace it as faulty.

It could also be, that other hardware is damaged, depending on whether, you only had to remove a specific compartment to install your hard drive, or take the whole laptop to bits. If I were in your position, I would look at using warranty to get a replacement. If that is not possible, and you did indeed take the laptop to bits, i would consider taking it to a repair shop.

As long as you completly formated the disk during the new install, it is impossible by my reckoning that it could be anything other than a hardware fault. Whether you attempt to replace a faulty part yourself, ie. you Hard drive, the most likely culprit, or take it to get it repaired, is up to you.

I have to change the hard disk.This is the only solution,I think.
Go to my site to see how much I love Bhumika kothotya.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.