Aeonix 71 Posting Whiz

Have you guys ever met process so stubborn? It wouldn't close, no matter which tools/programs/commands you might use regardless elevation? Talking about Windows and Firefox. This is kind of story that made me irritate, get mad and laugh like an idiot at the end.

It goes like this: I go on in my Skype, suddenly, Skype slows down, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, VirtualBox, Skype, Windows Explorer stop responding. Within next literal 3 minutes I manage to get my hands on Task Manager seeing that Firefox ate up whole 2GB of RAM out of 3.8GB usable. First thing I do is clicking End Process 50 times like always, not a single byte freed. Then following in terminal:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>tasklist

Image Name                     PID Session Name        Session#    Mem Usage
========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
~~ SNIP ~~

C:\Windows\system32>taskkill /f /im Flash*
SUCCESS: The process "FlashPlayerPlugin_18_0_0_232.exe" with PID 3260 has been terminated.
SUCCESS: The process "FlashPlayerPlugin_18_0_0_232.exe" with PID 2056 has been terminated.

C:\Windows\system32>taskkill /f /im firefox.exe
SUCCESS: The process "firefox.exe" with PID 2032 has been terminated.

C:\Windows\system32>tasklist

Image Name                     PID Session Name        Session#    Mem Usage
========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
~~ SNIP ~~

C:\Windows\system32>tasklist | find "firefox.exe"
firefox.exe                   2032 Console                    1    102,732 K

C:\Windows\system32>taskill /pid 2032 /f
'taskill' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>taskkill /pid 2032 /f
SUCCESS: The process with PID 2032 has been terminated.

C:\Windows\system32>tasklist | find "firefox.exe"
firefox.exe                   2032 Console                    1    102,732 K

// ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

C:\Windows\system32>ntsd -pn firefox.exe
'ntsd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

And it's still here on my desktop with 48MB in possession (decreased over time, but window and process are still there).

Has anybody had such stubborn processes on Windows? Ctrl+Alt+Esc or kill on Linux would make it short and painless.

This isn't question of "help me". This will continue to happen regardless anything, I'm just wondering whether it's just me with such bad luck. Nobody really seems to have problems with it, for them taskkill is solution that works even on most stubborn programs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.