Hello there.
My question is in two-folds:
Can I program a chip and program it myself? Or must I have a company to do that for me?
If I can program a chip myself, what are the best languages to program a chip?
Thank you.

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Nick Evan

Hi,

You can program microcontrollers, unlike microprocessors they include more things on chip like memory, IO interface, RS232, DAC and some times even USB and RF functions. I recomend you PIC (from www.microchip.com) especially 16F84A or 16F877 (compared their price to their performance almost always it is cheaper to use a PIC than using a couple of standart logic ICs). You can code both in PIC ASM and using some C compilers written for PIC. They are fairly easy to upload code to; google PIC programmers you can build one yourself with few parts or buy one cheap (don't spend more than $20).

Loren Soth

>> If I can program a chip myself, what are the best languages to program a chip?
Well bro , I'm learning the Verilog these days.It comes free for the linux.

>> Can I program a chip and program it myself? Or must I have a company to do that for me?
Yes you can program your chip yourself.There are FPGA and ASIC chips, both can be
designed with a HDL language like Verilog/VHDL.
To develop ASIC , you need can consult a company.But before you do that you need
to test and debug that using a FPGA chip.

In the industry we typically use ASIC chips because they are low costy, but some
hardware manufactures are ship their products in FPGA chips when they release a
hardware product that need more beta testing.

and another one thing to told, this is one of a Lounge so I feel no problem of
mentioning this.It's really worthless to become a hardware design engineer.Because
the job market SUCKS !.Before 6 or 7 years there was a huge demand in the job
market but not now.I know these facts because my father is a VHDL/Verilog programmer.
He lost his job and our family lost the wealth economy personally(no expensive iPads iPhone ,speed computers anymore).Now he is doing his own business.Unless you could find a job inside USA or Suid Arabia it's worthless to learn.

Edited by NicAx64: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.