Just a random question to try to get some good discussion going.

For me, at least the last handful of years, it's been taking a nice stroll around town. When I first moved to California from NY, I was living in an apartment in the middle of downtown Palo Alto. I absolutely loved that, at 3 pm on a Tuesday afternoon, I could go outside, and see lots of cafes with lots of other tech entrepreneurs all working on their laptops, meeting with VCs, making. things. happen.

I just found that sooooo motivating that everyone around me was creating the next big thing. All I needed was 20 minutes of people watching to go back to my laptop with a completely fresh perspective.

Unfortunately, Palo Alto changed a lot during COVID. Nowadays, it's much more like every other downtown area in the Bay Area, which means it has a big lunch rush and big dinner rush, and is a popular weekend destination, but it's pretty deserted at 3 pm on a Tuesday afternoon.

I think that what happened is that, during COVID, entrepreneurs were forced to changing their workflow, and it's been a slow process to return to pre-COVID habits.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

One of my favorite productivity hacks outside of coding is the Pomodoro Technique.

commented: Good one +0

Odd that something so basic and obvious needs to be named. Of course, "Pomodoro Technique" is a lot shorter than "go hide in the server room so my boss won't keep interrupting me so I can get some work done" technique. At least that's what I used to call it.

I don’t think there’s a better answer than that. Productivity hack when not coding are none other than breaks from coding. It’s so simple :)

commented: Tomato timer AKA Pomodoro technique. I've done this for decades. Mostly by going for a walk when I'm stuck. +0

So basically my Palo Alto technique :)

So basically my Palo Alto technique :)

A lot easier and more pleasant in mid-winter in Palo Alto than here in Winnipeg.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.