At this point, just use Linux, it's free, open source, but as stated, if you want to keep with the times, you need to upgrade.

This goes for everything, not just computers. You don't really see houses made of logs, or cars that require a crank start anymore. And just like the old things, a lot of the newer equipment won't work with older materials.

ie. Central AC was never ment for a log cabin (can you imagine that electricity bill?)

Personally, your last post with the 2nd account was a little over the top, but, it appears that your account has been restored.

I guess I owe some explanations.

I have a temper and a rebel soul that sometimes gets wrongly interpreted. I tend to engage in debate quite passionately, but never in a negative prefix. If I had such negative thoughts and opinions, believe me, I wouldn't have bothered to post them at all.

I apologize for my tone was misunderstood for angry or flamboyant.
I apologize if my opinions were taken as piracy-endorsing.

I deeply resent any form of injustice, including the injustice committed by pirate-endorsing opportunists that use non-licensed OSes, against group of programmers that work for Microsoft (including Bill Gates himself) developing very software that those opportunists actually use.

I also apologize for abusing daniweb by creating the alternate account, and thus bypassing the ban. You have to understand that it is very unpleasant feeling not being able to speak, especially after (wrongful) accusation.

I understand that I have nobody to blame for it but me, for not making an effort to represent my thoughts and opinions in their true light.

commented: It takes a man to apologise, thanks for trying to calm the situation down +10

I too, dislike it when (especially games) are incompatible with the current version of Windows that I own (it's Win98 at the moment :cheesy:). However, there's usually reasons for the incompatibility, as software companies usually want to open up their market as wide as it can be. And that's not to say that Apple isn't doing that much different from Microsoft, as they are also coming out with a next-gen operating system code-named Leopard.

I have a temper and a rebel soul that sometimes gets wrongly interpreted.

You're quite lucky that you didn't get in any more trouble than you did when you created the second account. In a lot of forums, if they catch you ban-evading, you instantly get a permanent ban. Fortunately, the staff here at DaniWeb is very friendly :)

Oh dear. Looks like I missed a lot of fun while I was sleeping.

I have a temper and a rebel soul that sometimes gets wrongly interpreted. I tend to engage in debate quite passionately, but never in a negative prefix. If I had such negative thoughts and opinions, believe me, I wouldn't have bothered to post them at all.

I apologize for my tone was misunderstood for angry or flamboyant.
I apologize if my opinions were taken as piracy-endorsing.

Not needed. We appologize for the misunderstanding.

I also apologize for abusing daniweb by creating the alternate account, and thus bypassing the ban. You have to understand that it is very unpleasant feeling not being able to speak, especially after (wrongful) accusation.

I think it was the misunderstanding in our part that prompted you in the first place. So I don't think any apology is necessary.

Personally I enjoy your point of view. You have created some wonderful topics and the ideas you give are sometimes absolutely awesome. It is always nice to know what people think of about Open Source, Microsoft, Apple. Any reply I gave was not meant as a flame, but to clear my own doubts regarding this concept. Anyway I am extremely sorry and a bit surprised that a good natured discussion led to this. I have seen worse. I sincerely hope you will not decide to leave, and thereby taking with you a unique character that can contribute to the vast pool of ideas in Daniweb.

Thank you.

Do you want to know what VISTA really is? It's an acronym (seen on another board, thanks Salem):
Viruses
Infections
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

(And my apologies for my previous post, I didn't know that Chaky had gotten banned just for the posts on this thread.)

To your misfortune, I'll stick around.:cheesy:

:cheesy:

On the topic of making money out of software, what do people here think about the Sun Microsystems "participation era" approach. This being to make some of the software open source and try to make money from support contracts and such like (and hardware sales in their case of course). Then there's the idea of letting users contribute to the development process (as in "J2SE 6.0 (community developed)" - Sun Microsystems). Interesting ideas don't you think?

Steven.

When I read that, one thing comes pops in my head. WinUHA. It is not an open-source, but it is a freeware and the financing plan is "donation contributes". Guy that wrote that handy little program for creating UHA archives says:
(quote)
1 Year, Over 250.000 downloads, only 2 donations
Just maintain Winuha.com is not free !
Please consider a little donation, any amount is welcome,
just to help me to have more time for WinUHA development,
as i'm studying at University, and also i have to work for study expenses.
(end of quote)

Whoa quite a lot happened here while I was away....atleast this is one particular discussion where things started getting hot without my involvement :D

But why ban someone for a post in Geek's lounge which is just an outlet of our personal opinons ? Maybe I missed a lot of things here thats why dont know the whole senario.

"People who are filthy rich like that have an obligation to use their welth for the betterment of mankind. "

It is good that the wealthy do give to so many charities as well as hospital buildings etc.

But I only hope that attitudes like this never make it into laws. The wealth envy of some people is simply amazing.

"People who are filthy rich like that have an obligation to use their welth for the betterment of mankind. "

It is good that the wealthy do give to so many charities as well as hospital buildings etc.

But I only hope that attitudes like this never make it into laws. The wealth envy of some people is simply amazing.

Attitudes like what?? Are you implying I am envious of their wealth? :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: They can have it as far as I am concerned because great wealth causes more problems then it resolves. The stock market drops just a tiny bit and Bill Gates looses millions of dollars. Me? I don't worry about it, in fact I rarly even think about the stock market.

You are putting words into my mouth that are not there.

Q. Can I transfer my OEM Windows XP software to my new PC?
A. No, OEM software is tied to the PC that is installed on. Transfer can only take place if the PC is transferred as well.

Q. Can I install my OEM Windows XP on more than 1 PC?
A. No, Windows XP is licensed per device - this means one licence is required for each device that it is installed on and must be purchased pre-installed on a fully assembled PC.

Aren't we lucky ones that this is the law.

It seems that Vista's successor (already under development) has at least three code names, because I understood it to be "Vienna". It also is said by those who should know that, currently being written, is a successor to Windows, so the next version of Windows, after Vista, might conceivably be the last. Depending upon how long it takes to get the new OS out the door of course. (Although, given the history of OS/2, it cannot necessarily be assumed that a Windows successor will take the world by storm.)

Seems to me that they (ms) can write anything they can think of in EULA and that all kinds of gibberish are considered to be copyright or whatever law.

And how do you call something "agreement" if your only options are to apply or back off? It should be called EULU (End-user license ultimatum). More apropriate.

Microsoft would be in big trouble with the EU if they tried to pull that kind of stunt this side of the water, and they know it.

OMG its so simple its:

Codename Whistler (XP)
Codename Longhorn (Vista)
Windows Server Longhorn (This is to VISTA what 2003 was to XP)

Codename Blackcomb (Vienna) - this was actually started in 2000 and was meant to be released before vista

Then after blackcomb its codename Fiji

Microsoft would be in big trouble with the EU if they tried to pull that kind of stunt this side of the water, and they know it.

Read this.

ReactOS does not use Wine. It borrows some code from wine, as well as from some other FOSS projects (with proper credits given). Currently (version 0.3.13) it is Alpha, and the developers do not claim ReactOS ready for production use. Because there are few developers working on it, and it has no corporate sponsor, progress is slow. I believe that it is going in the right direction, deserves support, and will be useful in resurrecting some older machines and processes NOT supported by Microsoft LONG before it goes into release.

I test each version with certain programs require for my business. Some can run well on it already. Once they all can, I will start recommending it to clients.

commented: looks like a wannabe sigspammer bot, replying to random old posts with bits and pieces from other posts +0

5 years of progress since the last post in this thread

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.