The only clever thing about this is the acronym, PERFORM.

This bill has been introduced in the US Senate again, following its defeat in committee back in April last year. Hopefully it will suffer the same fate again.

When will TPTB learn that they just cannot dictate the pace and direction of technology, and legislate to hamstring technological advances which powerful lobbyists dislike? PERFORM wants to force satellite, digital, and Internet radio providers to provide measures to prevent listeners from recording audio broadcasts. The bill does not apply to over the air radio, funnily enough.

I am not for copyright infringement, but random legislative acts which will be all but unenforceable anyway, given the technology out there, seem a monumental waste of time and money...

Go on, shoot me down in flames :)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

When will TPTB learn that they just cannot dictate the pace and direction of technology, and legislate to hamstring technological advances which powerful lobbyists dislike?

Agreed fully.

Oh, did I mention my libertarianism? ;)

Copy protection features are unavoidable in some cases, such as buying music of major record labels, or other high-quality content. However, I think it should be discouraged as much as is humanly possible. It causes more problems to the people who are actually trying to use the content for legitimate reasons, and the pirates use cracks and other such devices to get around the copy-protection, simply making it hard and only for the consumer.

I can't wait for this to fail.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.