Hi,

I am on Fedora core 5 32+ bit os and new to Linux world, was wondering as how to install any rpms that I download from the net. Do I need to right click on the rpm and then select the option from the menu which says "Compress as filename.rpm.tar.gz"?
If I do so then a separate file is created with the nameofthefile.rpm.tar.gz. If this is the case then how do I install the resulting files with tar.gz extension? Any commands? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

open up a console and cd to the dir where the rpm is (you MUST be root)

type rpm –Uvh packagename

replace packagename with the name of the rpm of course - command IS case-sensitive

The RPM man page is going to be pretty handy here. The -i switch is going to specify that you install a package. I would probably go with something like:

rpm -ivh packagename.rpm

If you come across error messages like how you're missing dependancy packages, don't freak out. Just install them first then go back to your original. There may be utilities you could use to hurry this along. Mandrake/Mandriva for example has urpmi (/usr/sbin/urpmi) that will, when run with the original package, prompt you to then download and install the dependancies as necessary. Other distrobutions have other tools, of course.

The RPM man page is going to be pretty handy here. The -i switch is going to specify that you install a package. I would probably go with something like:

rpm -ivh packagename.rpm

If you come across error messages like how you're missing dependancy packages, don't freak out. Just install them first then go back to your original. There may be utilities you could use to hurry this along. Mandrake/Mandriva for example has urpmi (/usr/sbin/urpmi) that will, when run with the original package, prompt you to then download and install the dependancies as necessary. Other distrobutions have other tools, of course.

Thanks mate,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.