I am fairly new to computers but not afraid to get my feet wet. I installed a 2nd used hard drive to my system. Went great. When I go to explorer and look at properties my C drive is NTFS and the other (e) is FAT 32. Is this the way its supposed to be or should I change it, or can I change it .

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

NTFS and Fat32 are just different types of partitions. Your main hard drive is using the more modern filesystem NTFS, while the hard drive you just installed uses the older type Fat32.

It doesn't really matter much, although NTFS is supposedly faster and safer than FAT. If you care, you can convert the drive to NTFS.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

Thank you very much joeprogrammer. How would I change from one to the other?

Thank you very much joeprogrammer. How would I change from one to the other?

The link I provided in my previous post describes partition conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. However, beware: NTFS conversion is a one-way ticket. Once you convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS, there's no easy way to convert a drive back to FAT32, unless you completely redo the partition table (which involves reformatting the hard drive).

dont convert it if you have another OS on that drive

format it by right clicking on my computer then manage.
click disk manager right click on the hdd then format then select NTFS or FAT 32

I am fairly new to computers but not afraid to get my feet wet. I installed a 2nd used hard drive to my system. Went great. When I go to explorer and look at properties my C drive is NTFS and the other (e) is FAT 32. Is this the way its supposed to be or should I change it, or can I change it .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.