ok, you have answer the whys how about the hows?
So you over clock for speed, but don't that lead to a hotter unit and I through you wanted to keep temp down. It's like you put a NO2 kit on your car motor, but if you don't rework the lower end,ie crank, you'll blow it up the first time you switch it on. So to keep temps down you water cool the cpu,right?
Hey I'm learning now, so yall keep talking!:)

haha.. ooookay

Wow, I missed out on a bit of the thread :(

Everyone here seems to want to "over clock" their cpu. How and why do you overclock? The cpu that I have picked out runs at 3.2 ghz, I don't think I would want it any faster if it means a shorter life span. A duo core cpu would jax the price up a bit from what I was looking at.

A 3.2GHz processor really isn't all that great anymore. I've got one. My dual core system runs circles around it. Seriously, get a dual core machine. It's really not that much more expensive, especially if the prices you quoted were accurate. It'll be a faster chip too, so in a simplified manner it'll be like having 2 faster ones instead.

Iv heard people overclocking low end intel core 2 duos to over 3 ghz!

The Core 2 is stable up to 4GHz on air cooling according to Wikipedia. It surely has hella fans on it, but still...

Yea, intel has always run their processors at really high clock-speeds.. but they are inefficient, and operating at those speeds does not really give them much of an advantage..

I'm assuming that "always" refers to the P4 and P-D lines. The P4 took a very complicated design with a ton of pipeline stages, allowing the clock speed to increase. The design was much more inefficient though, especially if branch prediction went wrong. The Pentium M and later (including Core Duo and Core 2) are based on the P3 design again, though they've obviously made improvements to that design.

they have just recently reached a upper boundary on how high they can clock their processors...hence the recent focus on efficiency. Intel is now like AMD...

The boundary was more in terms of heat dissipation. The CPUs were putting out so much heat that keeping them from overheating was getting increasingly difficult. Dual cores running at significantly lower speeds lower power consumption and therefore heat output, plus we've started realizing that the multi-processor model has much more potential for efficiency on modern multi-tasking, multi-threaded environments.

So you over clock for speed, but don't that lead to a hotter unit and I through you wanted to keep temp down. It's like you put a NO2 kit on your car motor, but if you don't rework the lower end,ie crank, you'll blow it up the first time you switch it on. So to keep temps down you water cool the cpu,right?

You do not have to watercool cpus! I good solid fan will suffice. (obviously not stock)

well really you don't need to overclock these HT and dual core CPU's.the HT CPU's fools the Motherboard into thinking there is 2 processors and the dual core is 2 processors.

You don't need to, but it does increase system performance (well, depending on what percent you oc the cpu.. ~5-10% does nothing)

You don't need to, but it does increase system performance (well, depending on what percent you oc the cpu.. ~5-10% does nothing)

it increases performance by 5%-10% ;-)

lol.. true, but you do not notice much of a change (I can't anyway)

I overclocked my video card 13% and did not notice a difference...

I dunno about graphics cards.. I always buy the cheap ones, and I have never overclocked them.. Actually, I don't even think I know how lol..

LOL i know reading this Thread is very informative.Lot's of good info and very good opinions.Very good argumentative points,insights,opinions,facts this thread is definetly educational.

haha.. well I'm glad you think so.. I don't even remember what the original post asked :D

:) I think we are fulfilling the goals of Daniweb with this thread.
I've ordered my parts from Newegg this morning and with shipping the total came in at 445.98$. After the 50$ mail in rebate the price will 395.98$ I stayed with the p4 cpu,the mobo will support a duo core and I might replace the P4 later. This being my first build let's see how it goes. Hoping for good time and frw or better yet no problems with it.

Good luck! Hopefully nothing is dead when you get it.. or doesn't work properly.. or the UPS guy actually delivers it to the right house..

stay optimistic lol:)

When my dads new pc arrived the guy literally threw it out the truck and he rolled teh box into the house. I was like WATCH THE DAMN DISKS!

hahaha.. yea, those delivery dudes can be like that.. The last thing I ordered from newegg was lost, and It turned out the delivery dude delivered it to the wrong house.

Lol my friend did that. He said that his vista CD never arrived and got a new one sent but then the original one arrived like a month later

haha! Same here! Except the original arrived the day after I got the replacement.. lol

Hehe

go sell it...;-)

:icon_biggrin: Update on build, mobo,processor,and memory came on Monday, case got here on tuesday, started pitting it togather that night. Everything went togather great. First boot came on wensday even. Had to formatt hdd and reload windows' xp. Load went very good, no hangups at all. Floppy drive wouldn't work at first, found out that the cable that came with the mobo was wired wrong, swapped cables and end of problem.
LED on front of case says that the processor is running at 34c and hdd 41c, have the cover off right now and the psu is very cool to the touch, what with the case having two fans bringing in air this baby should not have a problem staying cool.
The only problem I'm having is that the front USB ports aren't working.I've sent off an e-mail to Apevia telling them about that. Here's hoping they will send me a replacement card for that problem. Don't know if it's the cableing or the card for sure, and with no schimatic on it ,it's hard to really trouble shoot it.
Side note: the psu has way too many plugs for this small box. It has two chains of 4 plugs for compontents, both IDE and Sata.
All and all for my first build I'm very happy with it.
Mobo: intel micro atx DQ965gf
Processor: intel pentium 4@3.2ghz
Memory: 2gb DDr2
Hdd:WD 500gb Sata

Does the front USB's have wires they should have and they plug into the motherboard.

Yeah they plug into headers on the mobo. Check the mobo manual.

Don't know what I did, but they're working now. I had to pull the mobo tray out ti install the Sata adaptor card in so I could use an IDE hdd as a backup drive, which meant that I had to unplug most of the headers on mobo. Afterwards everything began to work as it should.Go figure!?:)

LOL just didn't have them plugged in good.glad you got it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.