Hi, all

Hoping you can help... I'm a home PC user who just re-installed XP Pro. I backed everything up to my second HDD, and the new install cannot find the second drive.

Don't know if it's related, but on my intel D865GBF board, I also cannot find the onboard Ethernet controller. I connected to the internet by installing a second network card.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,first off check in your bios screen that you can actually see both physical hard drives, if not then check the jumpers on them one should be set to master ie. (the one with the os on) and the other to slave. if this does't work try putting them on separate ide channels. reguarding the ethernet controller check if that is seen in the bios to.
lastly try repairing your windows installation.

combat

Thanks, all.

While I was waiting for replies, I installed a couple of virtual optical drives using Alcohol 120. When I opened explorer, there was the drive!

A few years back I would have spent a week figuring out why, but four kids later, if it works then that's good enough.

Thanks again

Rob

if not then check the jumpers on them one should be set to master ie. (the one with the os on) and the other to slave. if this does't work try putting them on separate ide channels. reguarding the ethernet controller check if that is seen in the bios to.

Alternatively, you can set them all to cable select and let the hardware figure it out. This is a lot easier, especially if you swap drives around much.

Alternatively, you can set them all to cable select and let the hardware figure it out. This is a lot easier, especially if you swap drives around much.

That is valid only if you are using UDMA2 cable(thin ribbon 80 wires). Please ensure that you are using UDMA2 cable then only change to cable select. Don't do it without being confirmed if you are using the same or not.

Sorry It used to work fine with the old stuff circa 1995 on, cable select on the drive. Ocassionally to prove it you canswap the drives around, oh an some drives you had to positively select slave present, and some drives (WDigs) didn't really work with other less beings

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.