Convincing. I shall disregard my earlier follies and follow this fact.

Clearly, no one can deny that Orlando Ferguson was directly inspired by God when he drew that map. Such a perfect map could only have been drawn by dictation from a perfect Being with an overseen point of view on the world. Case closed.

After that, I can't believe people buy all that evil propaganda about the Global Positioning System (GPS) being based on signals from satellites orbiting the Earth. Clearly, a GPS is an Angel-detecting system that figures out your position based on your distance to the four Angels that guard the corners of the Earth! The GPS hoax is just another evil conspiracy by scientists, directly from the pits of Hell, to drive people away from the biblical truth.

God also states that guns are good

Yeah. Guns are the modern day equivalent of stoning, after all, bullets are small stones. And clearly, God loves stoning. Here's a nice way to spend a sunday afternoon: seek out anyone who is working, and "stone" them with your favorite firearm. Fun for the whole family!

He will bestow upon us the warmer climate that we deserve for our endeavours. He marvelled at our industriousness and saw that it was good.

Amen to that! Global warming is a blessing from God to reward us for doing exactly what Jesus taught us: "compete with your fellow man for resources and power", "make consumption and accumulation of wealth a priority in your life", "take no thought for the morrow" (this one's actually true), and, of course, "whosoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other for that will distract him as you draw your weapon to kill him! Stand your ground!".

Oh, and I don't remember any specific verse about giving free reign to the rich, allow them to control the political process, to do trading without regulation or leverage requirements, and cut their taxes as much as possible, but that's what God meant by "it is harder for a rich man to enter heaven, than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle", clearly, they need all the help they can get while they're here, or at least, they deserve the greatest comfort before they are cast to the hoary nether regions.

diafol commented: I nearly pissed my pants. Ha ha ha +0

"The earth is flat"

And its partner: the sun and stars revolve around the Earth.

That Square and Stationary Earth is great! I love how the author added a little ad for his book in the corner, even then the Christian right was obessed with making money.

Greek Gods are real...

Member Avatar for diafol

Criminals are more dangerous to yourself than you are

Only if they actually end up killing you. But you may have a point. Are there more self harmers out there than malicious razor-wielding cutters? Do more people readily gorge themselves to the point of obesity than you have crims in tall white hats force feeding you lard.

"George W. Bush was a great president"

@diafol And consider how many people do something reckless (eg. drinking & driving, biking without a helmet, dares, using machinery for home repairs without reading the instructions, etc...) and get themselves hurt compared to malicious bad guys going out to beat you up.

@diafol And consider how many people do something reckless (eg. drinking & driving, biking without a helmet, dares, using machinery for home repairs without reading the instructions, etc...) and get themselves hurt compared to malicious bad guys going out to beat you up.

Yeah, it's like after watching a mafia movie, you might think "OMG, I wouldn't want to owe money to the mafia and have them cut off one of my fingers". But I know plenty of people with severed fingers, they all lost a finger, or part of it, while carelessly using a saw. But I guess that the hazards of home repairs aren't good material for a thriller movie.

And also, another little factoid on that topic, if you own a hand-gun, you are statistically 22 times more likely to hurt yourself or a member of your family, intentionally or accidentally, than you are of having to use it for protection from a criminal / home-invader. In nearly half of the real-life situations when a hand-gun is fired, it's for committing suicide.

I think that's a great little factoid to support the idea that you are much more dangerous to yourself than the "bad guys" are. Whether it's self-destructive behavior stemming from mental / emotional / social problems that you're not dealing with properly, or whether it's just about being stupid and careless in your daily life. I'm pretty sure that occupational health and safety inspectors save many more lives than cops do.

In nearly half of the real-life situations when a hand-gun is fired, it's for committing suicide.

Maybe that's a good thing. Remove the stupid gens from humanity.

commented: Suicide is a good thing!?!? Come on... that's going too far... +0

In nearly half of the real-life situations when a hand-gun is fired, it's for committing suicide.

Wow.. that's a terrible thing to say... Do you really mean that? That suicide "may be a good thing"!?! And that people who commit or try to commit suicide are just stupid and good riddance for humanity!?! Considering that suicides are particularly common among teenagers, leaving parents in terrible grief, how can you throw that comment out there so carelessly? Shame on you. I'm gobsmacked.

Right. Because the teenage (and younger) boys and girls who kill themselves after (in some cases) years of non-stop bullying are nothing but collections of junk genes while those who preyed upon them with no empathy are the crowning glory of human evolution.

I find your comment completely heartless and contemptible.

A gun in the home makes the likelihood of

• homicide three times higher
  • suicide three to five times higher
  • accidental death four times higher

An abused woman is six times more likely to be killed if there is a gun in the home.

For every time a gun in the home injures or kills in self-defense, there are 11 completed and attempted gun suicides, seven criminal assaults and homicides with a gun, and four unintentional shooting deaths or injuries.

One third of all households with children younger than eighteen have a gun and more than 40 percent of gun-owning households with children store their guns unlocked.

More than half of youth who committed suicide with a gun obtained the gun from their home.

NRA boycott kills outdoors show that banned assault weapons

A massive boycott sparked by the NRA and other gun-rights groups outraged that the nation's largest outdoors show banned the exhibition of assault weapons has caused the show's organizers to abruptly cancel the week-long event in Harrisburg, Pa

Pennsylvania Rep. Tom Marino said he was disappointed in the cancellation, and blamed Reed Exhibition's gun ban. "The decision represents yet another attempt to undermine protections guaranteed to all Americans under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and it restricts the ability for law-abiding citizens to purchase legal firearms that are increasingly being used for hunting in a number of states.

Link for full story

I didn't realize until I read that story that assult weapons were used for hunting! Hunting what, exactly??

I find your comment completely heartless and contemptible.

Yes, maybe my comment was going too far.

Member Avatar for diafol

Those are some frightening numbers RJ. Not surprising, but horrible all the same.

The decision represents yet another attempt to undermine protections guaranteed to all Americans under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and it restricts the ability for law-abiding citizens to purchase legal firearms that are increasingly being used for hunting in a number of states.

Like you note AD, assault weapons and hunting don't make sense to me either.

Are assault rifles legal? WTF? Who the hell needs an assault rifle? I would imagine that anybody wanting to purchase one should immediately need to surrender all their existing guns as they would be deemed to be mentally unstable.

Yes, maybe my comment was going too far.

Just maybe? I'll chalk it up to one of those senior moments where you make a comment without quite considering the full implication. I've had a few myself.

Member Avatar for diafol

Did the NRA pull out because one stall decided not to exhibit these rifles:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Stag2wi_.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Bushmaster.jpg

Please take a look at these images and convince me that they are for general consumption. Useful for a T-Rex maybe.
That's just pathetic. Eroding people's rights? The only people who should be sporting these are the military, terrorists and the criminally insane. Into which category would the NRA like to put you? Obviously not the first.

Even if Congress and the Pres ban assult weapons doesn't mean the weapons will magically disappear. Such a ban will most likely have little or no affect. The ban is nothing more than a "feel good" law, making brownie points with parents who lost their children in that horrible school shooting.

World Famous Lie: Banning assult weapons will make America safer place to live.

World Famous Lie: Banning assult weapons will make America safer place to live.

Seems to work in every other civilized country in the world. And the argument "if we ban guns then only criminals will have guns" is invalid. If it held water then there would be no point in having any laws.

Question: How many NRA spokepersons does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Answer: More guns.

And the argument "if we ban guns then only criminals will have guns" is invalid. If it held water then there would be no point in having any laws.

No need to ban guns -- there are already enough laws to put criminals behind bars for life (in some cases death penalty). Banning guns will do absolutely nothing. It works in other countries because their governments have already disarmed its citizens. I'm not an advocate of gun violence or even assult weapons. I wish we could rid our country of assult weapons, but that is just not realistically possible. And, in case anyone gets the wrong opinion, I'm not an NRA member but I am sympathetic to many of their causes.

I'm not an NRA member but I am sympathetic to many of their causes.

The NRA only defends one cause: increase the sales of guns to please their sponsors, the gun manufacturers. You are blind if you think otherwise.

I wish we could rid our country of assult weapons, but that is just not realistically possible.

You can't rid the country of assault weapons, but you can stop or at least slow down the sale of the assault weapons, and that will certainly reduce the amount of guns in circulation. Hardened criminals will still be able to get them, and real gun enthusiasts too. If you have proper background checks and a license obtained after taking a basic firearm safety course, then mentally-stable, responsible and non-criminal people who want to own guns could easily have them, just not the others.

Of course, you can't realistically seize all guns or something crazy like that. You must phase them out by regulating their sales.

Member Avatar for diafol

Even if Congress and the Pres ban assult weapons doesn't mean the weapons will magically disappear. Such a ban will most likely have little or no affect. The ban is nothing more than a "feel good" law, making brownie points with parents who lost their children in that horrible school shooting.

Perhaps you're right, although I wouldn't have phrased it so bluntly myself, but if that's the case, laws in the US mean nothing, which does not making it lawless, but something much worse. How would an NRA spokesperson categorize a law-abiding citizen? I just wonder how many of these incidents need to happen before the majority says 'enough'. Many more by the sounds of it. And so they will.

Such a ban will most likely have little or no affect.

Then why is the NRA against it?

"Pshhh... I am like Einstein"

It works in other countries because their governments have already disarmed its citizens.

I disagree. Our government here in Canada has not disarmed the citizens and yet we don't seem to have any where near your level of gun violence. As for the NRA, until 1977 it was a major supporter of most of the measures that the NRA opposes today. That was the year they got taken over by the nut jobs and went totally bat-crap insane. That explains why the majority (84% the last time I heard) support gun regulation while the executives oppose it.

I think gun laws are stupid... even if you take away the guns, people still kill each other... if you get to keep them, you still kill just as many people as you do without a gun.

Member Avatar for diafol

even if you take away the guns, people still kill each other

true

if you get to keep them, you still kill just as many people as you do without a gun.

that's a little more difficult to prove. Knifes don't usually accidentally go off and kill your best friend who's standing 2 metres away.

that's a little more difficult to prove. Knifes don't usually accidentally go off and kill your best friend who's standing 2 metres away.

True, but why would one kill another in the first place... Hopefully by now, judging by all religions, people should know that WE are not the judge for one's life.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.