Hey guys,

I am looking for open source or at least free software that can be used to make icons. I want to be able to take a photoshoped jpg file and turn it into an ico file. I want at least the few basic standard options. Does anyone have any ideas about the best free or hopefully open source icon software.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The GIMP can do this pretty well. Though I usually just make my own in GIMP, I've never tried to convert jpg over. You could try to just open it with GIMP then do a save as... then use .ico, it should bring up a dialog asking which type of icon to use.

hey..Thanks a lot...I am going to check it out right now

Hello,

I use an online tool available at iconshock's website, it's free to use (you can find it here. It lets you create the ico in a combined version (the one that lets you have all the sizes) and change the background color if you need to. It's nice because you don't have to download anything and it's easy to use ^^ I hope it's useful to you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.