http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Should I be concerned about Dihydrogen Monoxide?
Yes, you should be concerned about DHMO! Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene), DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I wouldn't worry too much about the large amount of hydrogen hydroxide in our environment Dave! The EPA has that under control, and when there is too much of it, FEMA takes over like a well oiled machine.

By the way, your title should be DHMO.

It was. I think there must be an automatic ALLCAPS converter here.

And not even April! (it's DHMO's 'breeding' season)

I hope Hillary C. won't read this or there will a large bill passed to fight the horrors of DHMO. We might even go to war over it!

DHMO is not quite as bad as hydroxic acid, which is like everywhere...

I have an actual material safety data sheet (MSDS) for it. The specified safety precautions are:

- Store protected from moisture. Could react violently with water.
- Wear chemical safety goggles, gloves, and lab apron.
- Use appropriate respirator.
- Avoid breathing vapor.
- Irritating and highly toxic gases might be generated in a fire.
- If irritation develops, get medical aid.
- Contains oxygen. Might contribute to combustion.

This real MSDS is for D2O - deuterium oxide.

Deuterium oxide is heavy water - with all of the chemical properties of ordinary water. It's obvious that the person who wrote up the MSDS didn't know what deuterium is, but applied the safety precautions for oxides of group I-a alkali metals.

Great MSDS for D2O!
... and the winner is ...
- Contains oxygen. Might contribute to combustion.

Dihydrogen Monoxide! Oh no! I believe this chemical compound is responsible for more deaths than any other! It was deadly in New Orleans a while back.. You know what? Perhaps we should persuade Al Gore to make a video about it...

The sad part is, I've heard of people actually getting signatures of others who want to petition the government to ban it..

even worse, it would have been banned in at least one city had not an alert council member done a bit of research before voting...

Like the time the Texas legislature commended the population control efforts of Albert DeSalvo?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.