Recently read somewhere that some sites are starting to see Lycos.com (yes, the one that fell off the face of the earth a decade ago) pop up as a main referer for them according to G Analytics. I'm not seeing ANY traffic at all from them, but was wondering if anyone else has and I'm just in the wrong niche?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Recently read somewhere that some sites are starting to see Lycos.com (yes, the one that fell off the face of the earth a decade ago) pop up as a main referer for them according to G Analytics. I'm not seeing ANY traffic at all from them, but was wondering if anyone else has and I'm just in the wrong niche?

I haven't anyone mention Lycos for years. The last time I check my email from there was in college back in 1999.

The reason is that Ybrant Digital is doing something really different with Lyco.

Ybrant Digital is doing something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location-based_advertising

You can said it's the next Baidu but Lyco is not there yet.

Yes, I am seeing it. Since late May about ~1100% increase, granted from a low base. It is also on about 3 keyword phrases and is converting very high on adsense. It is coming from hundreds of cities so can't isolate the IP addresses. I am actually very concerned and reported it to google. I think it is some sort of adsense "click bomb". I am starting to see more reports of increased Lycos traffic as well and am putting questions out there. Is anyone seeing this, and in particular converting very high on adsense?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.