Hi, I came across a situation with one of my website that is built with wordpress. I recently checked that many tags in the website are in ranking. Many tags have been ranked more and high than then posts and pages. While it is a good thing but I was told by some fellow seo professional that having more tags and not the posts in ranking, is not ideal for a website.

Do you also believe so? If yes then why? Please share your insights on this.

Yes, and this was a mistake that I made many years ago with DaniWeb. The problem is that Google has a limited amount of crawl budget to crawl and index all the pages of your site. In our case, we were using up almost Google's entire crawl budget crawling thousands of tag pages, that don't actually have any real, quality content (just links to the content pages). That meant very little crawl budget was left over for the actual content pages. We were hit with a Google Panda penalty, which is an algorithmic penalty that targets "thin content" sites ... sites where most of the pages indexed don't have a lot of quality content and text.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.