Hi All,

I have a doubt on what to create weather sub-domain or sub-directory as per SEO-search engine optimization.How can sitemap has impact i mean which is better sub-domain or sub-directory.

Thanks,
Sudheer

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I prefer subdirectories. Google recently made a change in where they are now counting links between subdomains as internal links instead of external links, so that makes it make less of a difference than it used to, I suppose. So it really depends on your application ;) Keep in mind that links between subdomains will always need to be absolute URLs within your HTML. If nothing else, that is extra bandwidth b/c it can bloat up your HTML. Also keep in mind your application will need to support reading cookies between subdomains (often they do by default, but just something to not forget).

Hi cscgal,

Thanks for the reply. Let me be clear on my site. I am a beginner of building a site(though i have already build online game site using wordpress). I am in a learning stage of site.
1. Can you advice which tool(Adobe Dreamweaver/PHP) i need to learn to be good at building site.
2.Within in game site i like to expand it to different category lets say education category which is of no relevant with game site but with this i will learn building site. Please advice.

Thanks,
Sudheer

I prefer subdirectories. Google recently made a change in where they are now counting links between subdomains as internal links instead of external links, so that makes it make less of a difference than it used to, I suppose. So it really depends on your application ;) Keep in mind that links between subdomains will always need to be absolute URLs within your HTML. If nothing else, that is extra bandwidth b/c it can bloat up your HTML. Also keep in mind your application will need to support reading cookies between subdomains (often they do by default, but just something to not forget).

Hi cscgal,

Thanks for the reply. Let me be clear on my site. I am a beginner of building a site(though i have already build online game site using wordpress). I am in a learning stage of site.
1. Can you advice which tool(Adobe Dreamweaver/PHP) i need to learn to be good at building site.
2.Within in game site i like to expand it to different category lets say education category which is of no relevant with game site but with this i will learn building site. Please advice.

Thanks,
Sudheer

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.