Hi guys! I'm a n00b here on this community. So hello there!

I re-did my myspace profile www.myspace.com/cherryteresa in CSS and I can't figure out to fix a certain issue. For users who have smaller screens or resolutions of 800x600 or less, the left side of the screen is not visible and you can't scroll over to it. You can only screen to the right. (If you have a bigger screen, higher resolution, just shrink your browser size and you'll see what I'm talking about).

I've been trying to figure out how to fix this, but I haven't figured it out. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I hope to make some friendships here as I am going to be going to school for Database and web page design, so I'm sure I'll be using and hopefully contributing to this community!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The trouble is that the width of the contents is wider than the window width. As I see it, both sides are sliding off the edge, not just the left. You might not see it, because you have more blank space on the right edge.

I am seeing a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the page, and it works. I use FF.

Test it by shrinking your browser window to different sizes with Restore Down and dragging the edges.

Is your scrollbar going under the taskbar? I used to have that trouble until I made an adjustment to the taskbar settings (you can't have a double-row taskbar without it hiding something).

Fixes? You must either find a way to resize the images to fit available space, or let them slip under things.

Thanks but I don't think you understood my issue correctly. My issue isn't that there is overflow within each individual div. The issue is that the very left div halfway disappears in people using 800x600 and less resolutions. There is a scrollbar at the bottom of the browser, but it will only go right and you still can't see the left div that is cut off.

What browser is that?

It might be a browser issue.

Now this is interesting: When I opened it the other day, it worked. Today, I can't scroll left either.

Questions:

1. Do you have a script which calculates the location of objects? If so, is it calculating a negative value with a small browser window?

2. Are you dynamically resizing anything?

3. I noticed that the left edge of the ad is always at the left limit of the scroll. Is the software that puts the ad on doing this? (Try it without the ad on a local computer.)

Hey, that's very perceptive of you to notice that it does seem to line up with the ad at the top. That might be a clue to help me figure out what I did incorrectly.

I'll keep trying to figure it out. Thanks very much for your help.

I ended up changing it up a bit, which only fixes the symptom, not the cause. But better than keeping it how it was before.

I'm using Safari and Firefox in Mac OSX, but I also checked it in Firefox and IE in Windows XP. and does the same thing.

It might be that the script that places the ad is the culprit. It may be adjusting the page values to make the ad work.

Ohhhhh yeah. You might be right. It's been annoying me trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.