Hi, this is my first post on DaniWeb.

I created this table and it works perfect in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer.

I tried different document types, I wc3 validated it, changed the height in css for the div and for the tbody, but still not working correctly.
It must be something ridiculously simple I overlooked.

Example here

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

IE is retarded. Here's what I've found regarding the scrollable tbody element.

The tbody element is designed to scroll when the table is larger than the browser window, not a container.

Well, I decided to not use this type of table anymore because it must be deemed outdated if the modern browsers are not supporting it enough.
I don't feel comfortable using any code that takes too many browser workarounds to work correctly.

All I was doing was trying to was make a scrolling table first so I can use javascript to sort the columns.
All of the sort-table javascripts out there use this type of table to work correctly.
Unfortunately, all of them did not work in most modern browsers. And the only one that did, I could not modify it without breaking something.

Thanks for the input.

I don't know how to close this thread, so I suppose it will always be open.
Closing it as solved will just make it appear there was a solution to the problem was when there is not. Maybe the admin/developers should know about this so it does not confuse other readers.

What about something like this?

That is nice. $495 sounds reasonable for the amount of work put into making it a nice product.

I would have to think about it.

Thanks.

Another option for using the a scrollable area is CSS' overflow property. It would allow you to also get a number of cross-browser compatibility too.

<style type="text/css">
<!--
div.scroll {
height: 200px;
width: 300px;
overflow: auto;
border: 1px solid #666;
background-color: #ccc;
padding: 8px;
}
-->
</style>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.