I was developing a web site locally with PHP/MySQL on my windows PC running XAMPP.

I got all of my scripts running well! I have it to the point where I decided to purchase the domain name, link my existing 1and1.com account for the server to the domain, and upload all of my scripts/files/images/etc.

For some reason, when I view it on the actual domain(not locally), it looks entirely different from my local windows/xampp copy. My page is way stretched(margins screwed with), and all of the fonts look different.

I've never ran into this before, and I figured someone here would know the answer.

I'm seeing the same results in Firefox and IE.

I checked the CSS with the firefox webdeveloper add-on. no errors.

I checked the site for HTML validation and "found to be valid XHTML 1.0 Strict." http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.loanmodassistant.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

I uploaded my entire site again thinking maybe I missed something.

I can deal with the fonts being different although I'd like to know why.

The bigger problem is I can't figure out why the page is "stretched" on live(you can see on the right where it should end based off of the space between the grey box and the right margin), and not on development local box. It's the exact same code!

<SNIP> only the index page is correct at the moment, so excuse the mess on the other pages until i get the index looking correct.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Can you post comparison screenshots or something?

I was actually just going to do that and I think that I figured it out.

The problem was me being stupid and programming until 5AM. Long day!

I use an old header.css file. When I FTPd "everything over", i forgot to include the header file. I sorted by date, so of course the old .css file wasnt a current file. I keep a lot of junk in my directories when developing. PEBKAC (problem existed between keyboard and chair!) hahaha.

Programming until 5am? That will do it! =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.