I am trying to create a membership for my website. I would like my members to have passwords and to be able to log into their accounts. I would like them to be able to retrieve both their Usernames, as well as their passwords by clicking "forgotten username" or "fogot password".

However, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to do this. If anyone could show me, step by step, on how to do this, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you for reading my post. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

there are many ways to do this, and it depends on how well you want to do this. things you may want to consider are performance, security, etc...

since this is posted in the html/css section does this mean you want to use html/css? in my opinion this is the simplest way, but provides little / no protection for your members.

perhaps you could do a search on server-side languages and decide which will meet your needs best (this goes outside the scope of html/css though).

Thank you for your quick response. I am actually better at HTML than I am with anything else. I understand that HTML provides the least amount of security, but I'll like to do it with HTML format first. As my site grows, I'll be inclined to provide more protection, however for the moment I just need an immediate solution.

Ok, you will need to at least use a little JavaScript for comparisons on username / password. Just note, the registration will not be possible using client-side code only!

Anyway, as the simplest (stupidest) option, you just have pre-defined username / password combinations and check this as a form is submitted using JavaScript.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.