OK..... I have a site/page template I've made.... looks good!

Set the height and set overflow in CSS so I get scroll bars if JS is disabled....
yet the boss wants a method of using icons to scroll up/down without scrollbars...... seen it on several sites..... found sample code.... hacked about with several different ideas.....

Keep hitting the same problems.........either it's not compatable with Netscape, or the code works out to be around 5 kb+.... which is far to high!
((esp. when you have the JS to make IE have minwidth and a rather cool JS menu which site over the normal nav system..... the js is getting to be around X2 the size of the page and the graphics and the content!))

So, does any one of a simple, easy and "small" JS that will let me scroll up and down in a div - using mouseover two images?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't... that's what scrollbars are for!

I know you want an actual answer, not a lecture. Look at the "scrollTo" method, that should get you started.

However, consider that you are replicating a function that already exists and that users expect. When you take away something that a user expects, and replace it with something that isn't immediately obvious or more useful, you create a negative user experience.

OK.... you'll do fine to take my edge off today!
Thank you for volounteering....

1) CLEARLY stated ..."Boss wants".
2) It's an additional element... if JS is disabled, then they get the accepted/expected norm.
3) The sites you build have white Bg, black Txt, no images and use pure html 1.1 with tags that are completely depreciated?
4) So... you live in a tree, get wet when it rains, get cold when it's cold, hot when it's hot, walk to work, carry your shoipping home without the use of bags or other transportation etc..... What do you mean NO!?
People do different things all the time.... thats one of the wonders of the web.
I'm inclined to agree with you to some extent... but this is what I've been asked to do, so this is what I shall do!

So, care to contribute?

Please dson't take offence... yet I don't ram convention down peoples throatsm so please have the same courtesy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.