Does everyone here design for 800x600 resolution or for 1024x768, are there any tricks to making sites look good on both, flash, html, etc...

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

um the best for html and hard coding is using percents instead of set widths. that is my only advice;)

If you do use set width to 780 or less (it gives spac for the scroll par in 800x600 resolution)

Usually I design liquid layouts, but when doing fixed width, I always make them 780px wide or less, to account for scroll bars, etc.

I code for every resolution, if its a fixed width 760px.

Just code to the standards and keep the little guy in mind and you will be fine :)

Use percentage values to define the height and width of anything, this way it should look great across all platforms and browsers. Also, the very best way to layout a web page, if you want it to be viewable across all browsers is using css, it is soooo good for compatability, tables aren't a great way to lay out as some of it isn't valid html 4.0

CSS for everything other than tabular data. I design for 800x600 but keep in mind most of my visitors use 1024x768. I use fixed height and percentage widths ;)

Thank you so much for sharing that URL. I just checked it out and it's really great. I might even use it myself to make all of DaniWeb CSS friendly!

When designing fixed width, try to design for 744. IE on a mac is the smallest screen I design for.

Gotcha, thanks for the replies. I usually with html do 100% width's on tables, etc, and flash usually 760 just wondering what everyone else did, thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.