Member Avatar for T4gal

I've recently started looking into Wordpress and things like it, because I had seen a few web designers that use it to make their website. So now I'm wondering, why do they use it? As far as I can understand, it's ideal for someone who is not good with html at all and wants to make an easy website.

I've been looking on google to try and find out why web designers use it instead of just making a regular website but have found nothing. Only that it's a good blog and a simple website maker.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, or point me in the direction of something that will?

Thanks!

And sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I think, appart from the fact that it is free software, most clients want to be able to update their website with content themselve, saving cost in place of hire someone to update it. Most website owners does not do designing, html and stuff like that, so free software like wordpress, joomla and many others is the answer. That is why most website hosts include cpanel with fantastico, with the easy one click installation of these free scripts.

For the website owner, it is a plus, he/she can update content self.
For the webdesigner, it is a plus, he/she only customize it to the clients needs, quickly, and don't have to charge a fortune (I hope not)
The webdesigner can also write their own unique template.
For SEO purposes, it is a plus, that can be done much quicker and easy.

I think, the only negative I can think of, is the footer message that says "powered by whatever"

I've recently started looking into Wordpress and things like it, because I had seen a few web designers that use it to make their website. So now I'm wondering, why do they use it? As far as I can understand, it's ideal for someone who is not good with html at all and wants to make an easy website.

I've been looking on google to try and find out why web designers use it instead of just making a regular website but have found nothing. Only that it's a good blog and a simple website maker.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, or point me in the direction of something that will?

Thanks!

And sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

getting quotes for website design services can be a stressful experience simply because many companies may not know which elements are more expensive. Therefore they may not know whether they are paying the right price for their website design.

While every company will have different pricing schemes and it is unlikely that you will get two identical quotes for the same site design

Wordpress CMS system is more user friendly than HTML or Flash.
Also sites are less heavy and it's better for SEO of your site.

I do not know a web designer who actually makes a living with his/her craft who uses WP as their main WD application. Many hobbyists do because they can be up and running very quickly, and because of the gigantic number of quality templates available, they can have a nice full featured site with little of no HTML knowledge.

WP is surely the best option for blogs, and simple CMS solutions, but as a web designer, the thought of a client being able to mess with a site after I've done the "dirty work" scares me to death. That said, I regularly include a blog/simple CMS in a standard website for clients who want to post current events, special promotions, and such.

Member Avatar for T4gal

Okay, so what I'm wondering now is, I'm currently working on a website for a client who wants to do the updates himself. How easy would it be for him to update the website himself with wordpress? And how easy would it be for him to download wordpress and get it setup?

Thanks

Hi..
There are lot of features in wordpress ..its framework looks good to work in websites.. its more helpful for website and users..
thanks..

I like wordpress and have advised my clients to use it because it's easy to use, super-versatile and good for SEO too. I've done over 100 designs in the past 2 years and my clients were ecstatic about the script. It's easy for them to update the content and, once my design is in place, there's not much they need to do.

That's why people use wordpress as you said. It's a simple website maker. It has lots of useful themes and features that make useful for blogging and selling products or just getting information across to the public. Wordpress is the best blogging system out there currently.

Wordpress has the widest userbase and the most support. Should something go wrong with a client's web page, instead of having to come back to me for help they can go to the Wordpress forums (or other forums dedicated to Wordpress) to get some advice. It doesn't require much knowledge of HTML and CSS, but it's flexible enough that it can be used for different kinds of web pages even if its main purposes are for CMS and blogging.

I think that wordpress websites are easily caches than others in google

hi,

WordPress is online and offers multiple users, which means you’re not the only one who can fix something in a pinch and you can access it from anywhere .WordPress also makes it easier to optimize your search engine results. That means your site is more likely to land on the first page of Google results, which means people are more likely to find you .

thanks..

WordPress.com has a lot of advantages. It’s free, can deal with huge traffic, is constantly updated and plugs you into a social network. For a small fee you can also get a proper domain name associated with a wordpress.com account without needing fully-fledged web-hosting. WordPress is an awesome CMS tool for managing different kinds of sites. Through the use of custom themes and plugins, it is now possible to create an entire website with multiple features using WordPress.

I am a programmer for 20+ years. I have created and modified many systems. The systems that are the easiest to maintain are the systems that are based on a solid and consistent framework that is extensible (you can add things to it without changing the core code) and are easy to use. Wordpress has all of these features and more. In addition you can update the look of the site without changing the content). The plugins make Wordpress totally extensible and having so many plugins available gives me an option for just about any need my client may have.

With Wordpress you can update the graphics and keep your site "fresh" with a minimal amount of effort. The above is true if you are making a blog site or a business site.

I only make business sites. The two biggest issues I see when I look at older sites are that the content no longer is relevant and/or the site just looks dated. Both of these things are an easy fix if they are built with Wordpress.

What happens when your site adds more subsites after a while? Can wordpress handle it?

Thanks

Does Wordpress have its own search functio built in for any website? or do you code it separately?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.