Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I thought I should just introduce myself before I ask my real question. I started web programming almost 10 years ago and now I want to start back up and make web programs.. The only problem is, I'm about 10 years out of the loop. I'm still adjusting to how current websites are made.. so cut me some slack ;)

Anyway, I'm working on a site that requires creating an account. I'm wondering if account activation through email or whatever is outdated. Weren't those originally created to stop bots from creating accounts? And, if so, bots seem to be advanced enough to be able to get past that type of thing, rendering email account verification sort of useless.

Is there an alternative or are they just a waste of time, now? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I think they're meant to make sure the user provides his or her email address.

Webs.com is still using accounts stuff but ya need 2 pay 4 yo own email adresses

I think it is still a good way as it will allow you to make sure the email is valid.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.