I'm new to WindowsXP and the following tag which ran perfectly well in Windows98 doesn't work with XP:

<style type="text/css">
p { text-indent: 1em; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; }
p.fst { text-indent: 0em; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; }
</style>

I'd appreciate a simple explanation and remedy - if there's any.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I think it'll be the browser version, not the version of windows, which is causing you problems. That is, IE5 or 5.5 on the 98 machine, and 6 on the XP machine?

There's no real reason why it should stop working.
What code are you using with it, and what do you intend it to look like?

I understand it's a browser problem, but I also used IE6 on Windows98. Anyway, I use these html pages to build MSebooks (using ReaderWorks) for myself. style tag is generally for making first line of a chapter unindented.
Here's what I do:
<html>
<head>
<title>Pagan and Christian Creeds</title>
<style type="text/css">
p { text-indent: 1em; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; }
p.fst { text-indent: 0em; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; }
p.note { text-indent: 0em; margin-top: 3; margin-bottom: 3; }
</style>
</head>

<body>

<p style="page-break-before:always">

<br><br><br><center><font size=2>INTRODUCTORY</font></center><br><br>
<p style=fst align=justify><font size=2>THE SUBJECT</font> of Religious Origins is a ...
<p align=justify>There is also in these matters ...

</body>
</html>

Apparently the browser doesn't see <p style=fst align=justify> tag and the line appears with 1em indent on html page and of course in the ebook.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I don't know if above information is enough to give you a better idea.

I'm so much ashamed and terribly sorry!
I guess I worked too much.

Does that mean you've spotted your style should be a class?

We all have those moments...

Yes, I realized it seconds after I had posted my reply to you. I am really very sorry. Thank you so much for your patience and consideration.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.