I have been working on my site for some time and its not yet been released. What I want to do is modify my layout so that it works with CSS insted of tables. All my efforts so far have gone in vain because the gaps between the <div> and <span> tags are just to wide and I have tryed everything I know to reduce them but they are still huge.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials or can give me some pointers as to where I might have gone wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It's hard at first... but I eventually got mine to work, post your css code here and I"ll review it and see if I can help.

Slade

Be sure to code for a browser, with CSS NS and IE dont' seem to agree on pixel locations. Like slade said, post your CSS along with your HTML page so he (and maybe I) may look it over. There are a buncha lil technical things that the W3C validators don't like, so don't mess with the pre-formated tags using style rules. If you want, I have a CSS tutorial at my site you could probably glance at, might help.

If you do visit my site, you'll notice that my content div is shifted, is there any way I can keep it aligned with the rest of the page at various resolutions? I'm using percent right now, but it's not working...

Div tags are generally used to encapsulate paragraphs, body content, and for text/image positioning and layout. Span tags are used to emphasize a word or two, such as

<div>This is my paragraph. I would like to <span style="font-weight:bold">emphasize</span> this word.</div>

Div tags are generally used to encapsulate paragraphs, body content, and for text/image positioning and layout. Span tags are used to emphasize a word or two, such as

<div>This is my paragraph. I would like to <span style="font-weight:bold">emphasize</span> this word.</div>

You could use

<em>blahblah</em>

but all the tags like that (ie, <strong>, <b>, <s>, etc) may soon be deperciated in favour of the span tag + style atribute. What cscgal said is correct though, just thought I'd expand :P

When I started out with CSS I got a lot of help from source code at the csszengarden.com , also I think it's great more people are switching to tableless layouting ;)

Also the comment about coding for a browser is a good tip but you have to make sure you get it right for both IE and FF (the two most commonly used browsers), I think IE 8 is the most used version of IE now?

And yet another thing, if you're writing your css, you shouldn't use inline css (in my opinion). Your html should basicly only be

<html>
<head>
<title>my page</title>
<link to your css file!>
<some meta tags>
</head>
<body>
<some divs>with content</div>
</body>
</html>

and as above the link to your css file is linking... to a separate css page. This way you'll never have to search around for any styles you made. Use clear id's and classes as not to get confused.

I hope I haven't overposted here...

You just open 3 years old post, is there any need? :?:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.