As a travel agent, I would say that the best solution to decrease fraud is to "know your client" and enhance the card acceptance protocols. There are several tools in place to collect information about the client and his transaction pattern that aids in making a refined decision about allowing a transaction.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The problem is not one the seller worries about in the USA due to laws here. Since there are about 195 countries in the world I'll stick to the USA for the moment and copy from the web about merchant liability here.

Generally, the bank is more likely to be liable for the fraud for card-present transactions, while the merchant might get stuck with the cost for transactions without a physical card. (Merchants using the older swipe payment terminals and not the newer chip readers also incur more liability.)

This is why merchants don't fret about this much as they only lose the transaction costs rather than the full amount of the sale.

commented: A smart fraud detection technology should be an intelligent solution that automatically identifies vulnerabilities and evaluates the risks while makin +0

Hey vesto, your comment was cut off there. As I wrote above the fraud protection is rarely a concern of the retailers due to laws and agreements here (USA). Maybe you need to add what country you are talking about to show why you would need this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.