Hey everyone. I am having real trouble with my IPod. I have just purchased a 30gb video IPod and when i connect it up to my PC (i dont own a mac) the do not disconnect sign flashes up on my IPod and my PC freezes. After about five minutes my PC 'unfreezes' itself and i can use it as normal apart from ITunes and my computer which freeze when i open them. All the time my IPod is sayin 'do not disconnect'. I have tried installing all the latest itunes and ipod updater from the apple site and have tried reseting my IPod and still nothing works. I am using a 2.0 USB port which is reccomended. If anyone has any ideas of what i can try next please include a post on here.

Cheers,
phil

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

I have had a bit of a development with this problem. When i plug my IPod in now the same happens but after 5mins when my PC begins to respond again i get a little box which is titled autoplay and a torch is in the box and it scans over a folder. then the autoplay goes away and everything is fine except itunes hasnt found my IPod.

any help would be appriciated

I also just bought an Ipod for my daughter (yesterday). She asked me about the message. I explained she had to click on the icon with the arrow on the tray on the bottom right of the screen, and first stop the device. After she did that, the message went away.

Hi,

I tried this method and it does make the message go away but it also disconects the ipod completely and therefore i need to reconect it to update songs. when i reconect it the same thing happens.

Have you tried uninstalling itunes then reinstalling it?

yes i have tried that a few times. i even tried gettin rid of all my music which also didnt work. so now i have an IPod which doesnt work and no music. lol

Hey Phil,

I am pretty sure that I am having the exact same problem with my ipod. I have had mine for a few years 20GB from 2004...anyways, it has worked fine for ages, but I hadn't connected it to a computer for over 6 months and when I finally did and updated all ipod software and itunes and qicktime it no longer connects properly and ends up freezing my computer until I unplug it. I have done restore, tried disk mode, tried different usb ports....nothin...it's really bugging me...I don't want to throw it out just yet....but I'm just not getting anywhere...if anyone has any ideas....it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers

megs

Hey everyone. I am having real trouble with my IPod. I have just purchased a 30gb video IPod and when i connect it up to my PC (i dont own a mac) the do not disconnect sign flashes up on my IPod and my PC freezes. After about five minutes my PC 'unfreezes' itself and i can use it as normal apart from ITunes and my computer which freeze when i open them. All the time my IPod is sayin 'do not disconnect'. I have tried installing all the latest itunes and ipod updater from the apple site and have tried reseting my IPod and still nothing works. I am using a 2.0 USB port which is reccomended. If anyone has any ideas of what i can try next please include a post on here.

Cheers,
phil

Hey Phil,

I am pretty sure that I am having the exact same problem with my ipod. I have had mine for a few years 20GB from 2004...anyways, it has worked fine for ages, but I hadn't connected it to a computer for over 6 months and when I finally did and updated all ipod software and itunes and qicktime it no longer connects properly and ends up freezing my computer until I unplug it. I have done restore, tried disk mode, tried different usb ports....nothin...it's really bugging me...I don't want to throw it out just yet....but I'm just not getting anywhere...if anyone has any ideas....it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers

megs

Hey megs,

I have finally sorted out my iPod trouble! :cheesy: It took a while but i worked it out eventually. I tried most things in the end but to get it working again i first inserted my original itunes disc which came with the iPod. i installed all of the stuff (even though i had more up to date versions) and then restarted my computer. when i tried my iPod it came up in iTunes and my computer but as usual it froze so i left it for a while and eventually it unfroze itself. an error message came up but for once i was able 2 use my iPod in iTunes. Seeing as i could use my iPod in iTunes i decided to restore it back 2 its original factory setings and once i had done that i made sure i had the latest version of iTunes insalled (version 7). once i had done all this it seemed to work and when i plugged it in to my PC it updated all of the songs and worked perfectly. It seemed as though i had to start again from scratch with my iPod and iTunes.

hope this helps,
Phil

Hmmm ok, that sounds like something I haven't tried before....and my ipod is still stuffed....in fact, I have given up on it....BUT...I will try your fix....as soon as I find that darn original cd....I have a horrible feeling that I threw it out....:confused:.....oh well I will find one somewhere and let ya know how I go!

Megs

I have found that allthough this process works for me if i want to update my iPod i have to go through this process each time which can take a while. I just thought i would let you know that its not a proper solution to the problem so if i were you i would just get a new iPod and start again. As i only bought mine a few months ago then i will stick with mine and just have to put up with installing all the stuff each time i want to update.

Good luck!
Phil

people dont waste your money getting new ipods its not the hardware thats doing it. in fact its new software, and drivers for the hardware thats messing it up. when new programs or updates are released they have bugs that werent seen before because they developers use only a few of the devices for that update so when they fix the problems with the software its to those systems and not everyone elses. because people are different the system will turn out different depending on how much you use it, or what kind of files you put on it, etc... so to make a long story short what youll want to do is revert your updated software on your ipods to the original meaning a complete washing of it and installing the software that was first put onto it.

I have just purchased a 30gb video ipod,And i've bought three tv shows and they have just deleted themselfs off my ipod,so i go to itunes and the shows are on my account but there are not on my video list. Please tell me why is this happening to me.:sad:

Check in your Music list. I've had the same problem.

Howzit Kianna ... I'm kinda thinkin like 'Stein. Check for the titles on your music list, recently added, and in your library. I'm lookin at my itunes now and i'll hook my ipod video and see what happens. I'll let you know what i get.

hey anybody use quicktime to convert movies for the ipod? i can convert them ... but I lose the sound.

hey anybody use quicktime to convert movies for the ipod? i can convert them ... but I lose the sound.

I use a program called Videora. Its quiite efficient at what it does, too.

Oh, and its free. :)

If anyone is having this trouble still, do the following steps:
1) Go to http://ipodlinux.org/Main_page
2) Download the latest installer
3) Install Linux on your iPod
4) Boot into Linux every time you want to use your iPod

* I have Linux on my iPod and you still CAN boot into the Firmware (Apple OS) by holding down RW.

Cheers,
phil

Hi, to get rid of this 'Do Not Disconnect' message you need to restart the iPod. It will not erase the music library. Its just like a restart to the computer. Check link http://blog.josephkulandai.com/2006/12/problem-in-ipod-do-not-disconnect.html

did you initially go thru the ipod install without any problems? What do you have in you pc memory wise and processor? What sync did you choose?
choose "manual sync fro musci" for the ipod for now

the "do not disconnect screen" stays on until you eject the ipod within the program and computer.

If you have alot of music files in itunes ... it takes time for the computer to sync over to your pod.

Cheers,
phil

Hi All!
Brand New here. Bought a iPod 30b today and had the same issues. I may have figured out the solution. In iTunes under "Devices" where your iPod is listed, uncheck "Enable Disk Use". Enabling the iPod for disk use means Windows (I dont know about Mac) will see the iPod as an external hard drive.

Keeping this option checked forces you to "Eject" or disconnect your iPod through the application (iTunes). In fact uncheck the box and hit "apply". then chek it again and you will get a popup warning that says:
"Enabling the iPod for disk use requires manually ejecting the iPod before each disconnect, even when automatically updating music."

My setup:
iTunes Version 7.0.2.16
Windows XP Professional
Dell Inspiron 9100
iPod 30gb

After unchecking the "Enable disk use" check box, when I connect the iPosd to my laptop the "Do not disconnect." message is displayed on the iPod for a few seconds while it (i guess) compares changes and performs a sync and then the message disappears - leaving you free to disconnect your iPod. I suspect if you have a lot of newly downloaded music that needs to be downloaded to the iPod the message will stay until the sync is complete.

If you do this - you should not have to re-install iTunes, you should not have to reset you iPod to factory settings and you most certainly should not have to install linux and use your iPod only with that OS.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers!
Mushupok.

cool whatever it takes to get it working so you can listen to music. I finally got organized with my ipods: 60 video (for all my music) I got it synced with the mac and automatically sync i - hdchecked , ipod shuffle - mac and manual sync, and nano synced with my pcm manual sync and hd. I use the shuffle and nano mostly. (car, work, play) the nano is synced with contacts and the calendar .. its a back up to my franklin planner. The ipod video i got syned with photos, contacts and calendar .... its my "musical brain" i take it on gigs... its right there next to my tuner ,, if someone has a request for a song ... i find it on the ipod paly it for the band and we start attempting the song.

Once you get the right settings down on these things ... They're pretty good toys and tools.

Hi, ive got a 30gb video ipod too and im having a lot of trouble. When i plug my ipod in and try to sync all of my songs and videos to it, it brings up a message that the file could not be found. But all of my songs and videos are in my iTunes folder and all of my files are the same on my library as my hard drive. It doesnt even tell me what file couldn't be located or anything. I've tried to restore the ipod and ive got the lastest version of iTunes and the lastest version of ipod software and it still isn't working. Could anyone please help me out. That would be great thanks. (P.s. Im not using a MAC im on Windows).

do you have other programs running in the background? itunes takes up a hefty bit of RAM, closing everything else usually works when things crash on me :)

Hi All

I have had trouble with my Ipod as well. Its a 4gb Ipod mini. Sometimes it just freezes on me. then no matter what i try it wont budge. I have to leave it like that till the battery runs out and it switches itself off. Dint know Apple products also freeze. I mean windows is normal with freezing and restarting and if windows freeze u can restart it but in my case i can't even restart or shut it off untill the battery runs out by itself. Is it just me or anyone else have experienced the same issue.

Regards
Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.