i got a new computer an my cousin tought me a lot about them mostly the basics but im learning more an it is very very slow an it skips alot when u play music like when u go on the web it starts to skip . neway i would like to get a new processor to speed it up an my questions are...

what kind should i get? its an acer

does it matter how much ghz i have before i put it in?

where can i go to find how much mgz i have?

i know i have 466mhz an 255ram if that helps

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

i got a new computer an my cousin tought me a lot about them mostly the basics but im learning more an it is very very slow an it skips alot... neway i would like to get a new processor to speed it up an my questions are...

what kind should i get? its an acer

does it matter how much ghz i have before i put it in?

where can i go to find how much mgz i have?

i know i have 466mhz an 255ram if that helps

We need more information. What type of processor is it? Intel Celeron or Pentium II, AMD K6? Which socket? Socket 7, Slot 1, or Socket 370? Which chipset?

The amount of advantage you will get by going to a faster processor is likely minimal. It's possible that the BIOS will not support faster processor speeds. It's also likely that the RAM is rated 66 MHz.

A good, free tool for gathering this type of information is Aida 32 -- http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

its a celeron on the back it says it has 466 mhz i dont know what u mean slot?
how would i find this out?

its a celeron on the back it says it has 466 mhz i dont know what u mean slot? How would i find this out?

By definition, a Celeron 466 fits Socket 370. It also means that your effective upgrade possibilities are about zilch. It's more economical to replace the unit. Even if you got a faster processor, your memory is probably only 66 MHz. You migt be able to find a faster Pentium III, but you may have to replace the memory, too, with 100 MHz type. Give us the Acer model number, maybe we can find out more.

i would rather not cuz i dont know much about computer but i wouldnt want to give sumthing out important sry not to be rude or nething

the system bus is 66.46 mhz 16k socket 370

if you open the case and find the name or number on the motherboard ,and do a search on Google.com with the number you should be able to fine the manufactor of the board and then go to there site and finde a manual with the info needed to tell you what processor 's it will take .like this one i have ,just as a sample to what you can find about you board on line .
http://www.hcsdirect.com/products/mainboards/msi694tpro.htm#CPU

how do i get more mhz??
do ihave to buy another computer or can i buy sum? (like memory)

whats fsb?

what kind of processor would i be better off with? where i could play cs (counter strike)

Each CPU has a speed in mhz. For a faster machine, you need a faster CPU. However, by keeping hte existing motherboard, it's unlikely you'll be able to buy a CPU with a much faster processor than your existing one. (Motherboards are only compatible with certain CPUs).

Each CPU has a speed in mhz. For a faster machine, you need a faster CPU. However, by keeping hte existing motherboard, it's unlikely you'll be able to buy a CPU with a much faster processor than your existing one. (Motherboards are only compatible with certain CPUs).

so all i really have to do is buy a new faster mother board an ill get more mhz an memory or is it included in the new mother board?

i was trying to figure stuff out an i dont know if i got this or not but is every 10 mb 100 mb or am i completely comfused?

i know this has nothing to do with the subject but i need to upgrade my media it windows media i think its that old version with the windows logo picture on it i just want to upgrade it to a better one which one should i get?

i think i might have found a compatible processor its an intel pentium 3 socket 370 133 mhz 256 kb 1.2 ghz does that sound compatible?

Let's go back to the statement, "It skips when he plays music off the Web. This is not related to cpu mhz, or buss mhz, but it is directly related to download speed from his ISP. He may have to find a higher
speed connection such as DSL, or Satellite. Also we don't know the connect speed or the download speed of his modem. The connect or log
on speed is not the same as download speed. I use a dialup phone line and rarely see over 7k download, but i have listened to music and have had it skip sometimes. The key sometimes is how many on the net are accessing that server at once. It is a fact that servers are time share and the more people that are downloading from that server the slower
each one that is downloading will get.
I hope this helps.

i think i might have found a compatible processor its an intel pentium 3 socket 370 133 mhz 256 kb 1.2 ghz does that sound compatible?

If we knew the name and # of your board we could tell you if the 1.2 will work with your board ,the adia 32 program will tell you the name and # of the board .just open the program an click on motherboard in the left pane and then motherboard again in the right pain .

it dont skip when im playing only when its play an i log onto the web plus i also wanna speed the computer up.

If we knew the name and # of your board we could tell you if the 1.2 will work with your board ,the adia 32 program will tell you the name and # of the board .just open the program an click on motherboard in the left pane and then motherboard again in the right pain .

in wcpuid?

thannks problem solved

Each CPU has a speed in mhz.

OK now I'm confused. I thought the CPU speed was in Ghz and the Mhz was the front side bus width. Am I mistaken? (I'm kind of new at this)

OK, now I'm confused. I thought the CPU speed was in GHz and the MHz was the front side bus width. Am I mistaken? (I'm kind of new at this)

Actually, the front side bus (FSB) width is measured in bits, though speed does figure in as well. For example, the Pentium 4 and Athlon XP have a FSB width of 32 bits, meaning data can be pushed out or sucked in in 4-byte chunks.

There is also a relationship between the CPU speed in megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz) and the FSB speed in MHz. This is known as the multiplier. This can get confusing because of double-data-rate random-access memory (DDR RAM); for example, my Athlon processor has a multiplier of 11.5 and a speed of 1530 MHz (1.5 GHz), for a front side bus speed of 133 MHz... but my DDR RAM is rated at 266 MHz. How can this be so?

DDR RAM works by clocking on both the rising and falling edges of the memory clock signal, so it works twice for each clock cycle. Imagine a bicycle with only one pedal. Most of the power in the stroke will come on the push part because the body's weight is behind it--thus, only one useful stroke per revolution. Add a second pedal with a 180 offset, the standard setup. Now you have two useful strokes per revolution, providing (in this case) more power, but in the case of DDR RAM nearly twice the speed.

So overclocking can be accomplished by one of two means-- either bumping up the FSB speed or unlocking the multiplier. Of course, these can be combined. The problem is that more work in the same amount of time means more heat generated. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of overclocking.

for example, my Athlon processor has a multiplier of 11.5 and a speed of 1530 MHz (1.5 GHz), for a front side bus speed of 133 MHz... but my DDR RAM is rated at 266 MHz. How can this be so?

Does this mean that if I buy an AMD Athlon 2600 with a FBS of 333Mhz than I need 666Mhz rated DDR SDRAM?

Does this mean that if I buy an AMD Athlon 2600 with a FBS of 333Mhz than I need 666Mhz rated DDR SDRAM?

It's smoke and mirrors. The true clock speed in this case is 166 MHz, but since it is designed to work only with DDR RAM, they refer to a 333 MHz bus.

Not that I blame AMD--Intel is even worse . They refer to an 800MHz FSB, but this is actually 200 MHz quad-pumped--that is, two interleaved banks of DDR 400 RAM, which is much more complex for, at best, a marginal improvement.

I know this is confusing, but much of today's computer marketing is based on confusion. That's how Intel sells more processors. An old joke:

Q: What's the difference between a used car salesman and a computer salesman?

A: The used car salesman knows when he's lying.

HOW CAN I FIND OUT HOW MUCH GHZ I HAVE?

which of the adia 32 should i dl?

the persional system info one will do !

the name is unknown the # is 31511.std.0000.d.9909071601

Your best bet is to buy a new motherboard like said earlier and a new proccesor.
You might need to upgrade the hard drive and memory too.
A cheap place to buy parts is www.tigerdirect.com

what do i look for in a new mother board how do i know what 1 i should get?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.