I'm going crazy and hope someone could assist. I recently bought a barebones to upgrade my existing system. My challange is to keep my main IDE as primary/boot with the existing O/S (XP Pro) and add on 3 additional IDE drives using SATA coverters. The other 3 drives have data on them and are not multi-partitioned. In addition, I would like to do this (if possible) without using a RAID setup. The main reason is that I have each drive used specifically for one thing and dont want to have all combined into one then partition. I could move all data from all drives to a 1TB external drive, create the RAID setup, partition and move back, but it seems too labor intensive. Is it even possible to achieve what I am attempting?

To keep things simple; I have disconnected my CD/DVD from slave IDE, left my main IDE (120GB) as master and tried the assembly with just one additional IDE (200GB SATA convert) for now. I have tried with and without the jumper in the 200GB, checked the BIOS each time to make sure that boot will be from 120GB and still no luck. When booting, I get past the BIOS/system check (which now takes forever), I get to the XP Loading page, the bar moves left to right but never will progress to my desktop. I cannot seem to get the BIOS to recognize the SATA drive. When I go into setup; if finds the IDE but not the SATA. I would keep the drives all IDE but this MoBo only has one IDE connection and I'm tired of looking at several external drives.

Regarding the adapters, this is what they look like. They didnt come with instructions so I dont know if there is something being overlooked:
http://www.cooldrives.com/serial-ata---ata-atapi-ide-interface-adapter.html

Any suggestions??

My Specs:

Mobo: Abit KN9 SLI
Processor: AMD Socket AM2 2.8Ghz 5400+ Dual Core
Memory: 3GB DDR2 RAM; 2x OCZ XTC Platinum, 1x Corsair
Video: Radeon x1950Pro, PCIe
Main Boot Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200, 120GB, IDE/UATA, internal
Storage Drive 1: Western Digital WD Cavier, 200GB, EIDE, internal
Storage Drive 2: IOmega 1TB, UBS2.0, external
O/S: Windows XP, SP2

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

those converts are real crap usually. don't you have proper sata connectors on the m/b?

Doesn't your mobo have an IDE socket that can be enabled via the BIOS? Then you can hook up that way.

Something would worry me about the SATA frig that you're trying to work. Maybe one drive (Boot) would work ...

Anyway, let's hope the IDE option works. Also have you considered whether a lifted Windows from an IDE mobo with drivers established would work properly in the SATA configuration? Another reason to try the IDE socket on your mobo.

those converts are real crap usually. don't you have proper sata connectors on the m/b?

Of course the mobo has proper SATA connectors. The adapter enables the IDE drive to be connected via a SATA cable to the SATA ports on the mobo. He wants to retain the use of his IDE/EIDE drives.

the way I understood it, he converted SATA to IDE, not vice versa.
but anyhow, both types of ide-sata adapters are crap. when my company wanted to use those for one of the customized machines, we went through 15 different kinds and manufacturers, only to end up buying extra pci controllers for sata and ide, because the adapters are so bad.

hell, even industry standart sata2sas interposers are a nightmare, and those are supposed to be used to high end server computing.

the way I understood it, he converted SATA to IDE, not vice versa. ....

He said in his first post: My challange is to keep my main IDE as primary/boot with the existing O/S (XP Pro) and add on 3 additional IDE drives using SATA coverters.

So he's converting IDE drives to work with SATA ports.

Other than that I agree with you that these ports are not to be relied upon. I'd give it a go out of interest for one drive but would be prepared to consider the adapter as a throwaway.

Anyway, his mobo has an IDE port which he should use. OK so he doesn't get the parallel bandwidth of several SATA ports, but it'll work the old fashioned way. Then he can buy SATA drives, if he wishes, albeith with a bit of driver complexity when he ghosts the XP drive across.

I do. I have 6 SATA connectors on the MoBo but I needed the adapters to convert my IDE HDDs.

Doesn't your mobo have an IDE socket that can be enabled via the BIOS? Then you can hook up that way.

Something would worry me about the SATA frig that you're trying to work. Maybe one drive (Boot) would work ...

Anyway, let's hope the IDE option works. Also have you considered whether a lifted Windows from an IDE mobo with drivers established would work properly in the SATA configuration? Another reason to try the IDE socket on your mobo.

Right now, I have one IDE socket availble on my MoBo which is what I have my main IDE/Boot drive hooked up to. It works fine until I hookup the SATA plug.

the way I understood it, he converted SATA to IDE, not vice versa.
/QUOTE]

Other way: IDE -> SATA.

as I said before - these conversion kits are usually the reason for problems. better to buy a controller

I've had another read of your first post. This is how I now think you intend your rig to work:

1. The boot drive is always on IDE and this is BIOS enabled & prioritised for booting.

2. The other 3 drives are fitted with the SATA adapter, presumably all drives set to Master (not sure it matters but that's what I woud do).

3. A SATA cable for each IDE disk is taken to the mobo, presumably connected in low to high port number order (again not sure it matters, but that's what I'd do).

4. SATA is enabled in your BIOS.

Now, if I read you correctly, connecting the data disks to SATA allows you to hboot fully but without having the SATA connected drives recognised.

Is the above correct?

If so, DimaYasni makes a good point in his last post.

In your position, I'd do exactly as you have done - seek help from a forum before dumping the idea of using a SATA converter.

What would my next step be? I'd buy a single SATA 2 HDD and fit that, expecting it to work. If not, then you'd need to run your mobo diagnostics (or you might have done that already) to check everything out at system level.

If that works, then you can get your data off the IDE drives by slaving them in turn on the IDE channel and copying across to the SATA drives you will have purchased.

Does that make sense?

I've had another read of your first post. This is how I now think you intend your rig to work:

1. The boot drive is always on IDE and this is BIOS enabled & prioritised for booting.

2. The other 3 drives are fitted with the SATA adapter, presumably all drives set to Master (not sure it matters but that's what I woud do).

3. A SATA cable for each IDE disk is taken to the mobo, presumably connected in low to high port number order (again not sure it matters, but that's what I'd do).

4. SATA is enabled in your BIOS.

Now, if I read you correctly, connecting the data disks to SATA allows you to hboot fully but without having the SATA connected drives recognised.

Is the above correct?

Yes.

IDE is prioirity and only boot-from selcted. I disabled everything else.

All drives are jumpered to Master.

All extra drives are connected to MoBo starting with SATA1, respectively.

SATA is enabled on in BIOS, but RAID is not.

If so, DimaYasni makes a good point in his last post.

In your position, I'd do exactly as you have done - seek help from a forum before dumping the idea of using a SATA converter.

What would my next step be? I'd buy a single SATA 2 HDD and fit that, expecting it to work. If not, then you'd need to run your mobo diagnostics (or you might have done that already) to check everything out at system level.

If that works, then you can get your data off the IDE drives by slaving them in turn on the IDE channel and copying across to the SATA drives you will have purchased.

Does that make sense?

It does. I know it would be wise to replace the IDEs with SATA for multiple reasons but I was hoping not to have to give them up. Being the MoBo only has the one IDE socket, it limits what I can connect. I have one internal and one external CD/DVD, so I could remove the internal leaving two IDEs slots available for two IDE drives.

I think as a last resort, I may move all data from all drives to my 1TB external, format them (including my boot drive), connect all as SATA (with no IDE) and do a fresh install of XP and hope for the best...

.....I think as a last resort, I may move all data from all drives to my 1TB external, format them (including my boot drive), connect all as SATA (with no IDE) and do a fresh install of XP and hope for the best...

I think we both know you're at this point now ALTHOUGH you haven't mentioned what happens if a single SATA drive is added to the IDE configuration.

That's is what I've been doing, just using one converted SATA as storge with an IDE connected Boot drive.

I mean one REAL SATA HDD and the IDE boot disk. Unless I've missed something in this exchange, you haven't tried that yet - or have you?

It's a question of knowing that the SATA is working.

Sorry, I misread. No, I dont own a true SATA drive. I'm sure I'll be stopping by Best Buy tomorrow.

commented: You'll do whatever it takes! +2

I like you! You'll do whatever it takes.

It's the only way I know.

Well, it has been fixed. It is the simplest things that cause the problem. The problem.. the bridge/adapter needed a power source and the HDD needed a power source.

I have a thread like this running in a different website's forum. Someone asked if both the drive and the adapter were powered. I said no and the power cable that would normally go into the HDD is plugged into the adapter, which in turn is plugged into the HDD. They said they believe both will need power and to try it. I didnt think that would be the case since a tiny LED on the adapter was lit. Well, I connected power cable to the HDD, now the HDD and adapter have power, powered up the machine, BIOS: fine, loading: fine/quick, startup into desktop, checked My Computer... there she is!

I want to thank all of you who contributed for the time spent with me. It is very, very much appreciated!!

Glad you told us. You'd have gone out to buy the single SATA drive, it would have worked and we would have cursed the damn SATA adapter until someone else with specific experience of the device came along to put us right!

Well, it has been fixed. It is the simplest things that cause the problem. The problem.. the bridge/adapter needed a power source and the HDD needed a power source.

oh, it's one of those :) well, just a word of advice: backup backup and backup :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.