Hi guys, I'm having a strange problem with my SATA drive and I am totally at a loss at what to do. 2 days ago I had been using 2 hard drives, 1 80GB IDE Seagate hd with Windows XP and my games & programs on it, the other was a SATA 160 GB Seagate which has my mp3s and videos etc on it. I had had that setup for about 2 years with no problems until yesterday, my 80GB IDE hard drive became corrupted, I don't know how either. But after spending a few hours trying to get it to work, I went and bought a new 160GB IDE Seagate hard drive which was to just be for the OS, programs & games.
I installed XP on it but my SATA drive isn't showing up in Windows. I'm using a Gigabyte 7N 400 Pro2 mobo and I installed the Sil3112 SATA driver off the CD that came with the mobo but to no avail. I have 60GB of data on my SATA drive that hasn't been backed up yet (yeah, I know, stupid of me), and I want it back. Any ideas on how to get XP to see my SATA drive?

Thanks,
Alex.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Perhaps check the BIOS to ensure that SATA is enabled and indeed that the BIOS sees the SATA drives.

Whatever glitched the IDE drive might have glitched the SATA drive.

Hi guys, I'm having a strange problem with my SATA drive and I am totally at a loss at what to do. 2 days ago I had been using 2 hard drives, 1 80GB IDE Seagate hd with Windows XP and my games & programs on it, the other was a SATA 160 GB Seagate which has my mp3s and videos etc on it. I had had that setup for about 2 years with no problems until yesterday, my 80GB IDE hard drive became corrupted, I don't know how either. But after spending a few hours trying to get it to work, I went and bought a new 160GB IDE Seagate hard drive which was to just be for the OS, programs & games.
I installed XP on it but my SATA drive isn't showing up in Windows. I'm using a Gigabyte 7N 400 Pro2 mobo and I installed the Sil3112 SATA driver off the CD that came with the mobo but to no avail. I have 60GB of data on my SATA drive that hasn't been backed up yet (yeah, I know, stupid of me), and I want it back. Any ideas on how to get XP to see my SATA drive?

Thanks,
Alex.

base on whats in red how can you install windows on the drive and it's not showing up.

base on whats in red how can you install windows on the drive and it's not showing up.

@bobbyraw

The new IDE drive on which Windows is installed shows up, but not the SATA drive.

is this drive on the correct channel, is it detected in the bios, if the above is correct them i assume the drive head/mbr is damage

I had a look at the cables and I couldn't believe it. I had knocked the power cable out of the SATA drive and didn't notice.... I feel rather stupid now. Thanks for the advice. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Great. Do please mark this thread as SOLVED.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.