I was cleaning my PC the other day, and took the CPU out of its socket (to clean up the old thermal grease, and put a new one instead), when I accidently pulled the towell off the socket's pins, completely bending some of them.

I tried fixing it, but when I truned on my computer nothing happened ! Not even POST / BIOS or any bip code.
Of course this means I messed up the CPU socket, which is very (VERY) bad, but what can I do now ?

I have a Lenovo M51, Intel Pentium 4.

(My warranty is already void ...)

Can it be fixed somehow ?
Has anyone ever came across such a problem ?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

buy a new motherboard

Yep thats the only thing we can suggest to get a new board and you should be working again.

Raj

PS: You do not have to die, just a PC problem aint worht dying for....wooooooosaaaaa!!!

not sure what is meant by towell ,
but im guessing you didn't just bend the pins on the cpu, when i pend cpu pins i use a credit card on its side to run between the rows of pins and help straighten them .

Probably pulled the lever to get the cpu off the socket a bit too abruptly and ended up with the whole socket kinda ripped, just a speculation, cos i have done it myself once on a fried motherboard...;P. I know not a very proud moment but that was the first ever cpu i was trying to take out. But then again i still had all cpu pins just fine apart from the motherboard left to be used as catflap(maybe not even that due to obvious reasons of cats health and safety).

Raj

Probably pulled the lever to get the cpu off the socket a bit too abruptly and ended up with the whole socket kinda ripped, just a speculation, cos i have done it myself once on a fried motherboard...;P. I know not a very proud moment but that was the first ever cpu i was trying to take out. But then again i still had all cpu pins just fine apart from the motherboard left to be used as catflap(maybe not even that due to obvious reasons of cats health and safety).

Raj

yeah i have often pulled off cpu with out fliping the lever ,when trying to remove a heatsinc and fan ,beacuse of dried on thurmal paste ,but its just a matter of getting cpu off heatsinc and flipping the lever to reinstall cpu ,was for me anyway

ANd how often do you suggest to change the thermal paste before it becomes Super Bloody Glue and be the cause for you to dish out on another mobo....

ANd how often do you suggest to change the thermal paste before it becomes Super Bloody Glue and be the cause for you to dish out on another mobo....

i really don't know how long ,all the ones that i had problem with belonged to others ,mine is about 3 1/2 yrs olds and i guess i changed it maybe twice .don't know for sure because im always removing it to use my board to test other 478 cpus.

well then i ll just wait and see when it gives in and then only i ll open mine.

if still under warranty just try to send in and ask them if they can do a last repair for you, actually in the production line..they can change that socket with a new one..

oh guess you should talk to one of those terrorist groups that use suicide bombers,i suggest da LTTE cuz they like only invented da whole thing !
but seriously speaking,maybe a new mobo or send some hot chick you know to get da warranty(hopefully ppl at da office wont be gay lol)

oh guess you should talk to one of those terrorist groups that use suicide bombers

What the hell.
Also "da" and "ppl" are not okay. Dont use "leet" here please.

how often do you suggest to change the thermal paste before it becomes Super Bloody Glue and be the cause for you to dish out on another mobo....

It still works when its superglue i think. My server (currently operating as a routera) ones have been superglued for a decade and it works fine.

lol chill dude thats called sarcasm...he wants to die doesn't he?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.