Hello,

I have a Western Digital Raptor SATA drive that one morning decided that it didn’t want to load windows anymore.... It would freeze about 2 or 3 seconds after the Window XP logo appeared and then would flash a blue screen of death at me and reboot. I tried to re-install windows onto the drive but it won’t let me format it.

Is my drive dead or is there something else I could try doing to get it back. It has worked fine up till that point and being the 10,000 rpm model I wouldn’t mind getting it up and running again.

Kind Regards

Craig

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

I believe you have a software failure on the hard drive. If the drive died, in terms of a physical death, it would not loaod windows at all.

You will probably need to reboot from CD, and format and start over. If the format / partition process fails, then you could have a mechanical ailment on the device.

Christian

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for sounding dumb... but im guessing that if there is a mechanical ailment on the drive it's prob not worth trying to fix it and just go buy another one right? :)

Craig

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.