My Hp Pavillion was exhibiting symptoms of a dying power supply--it would boot but only stay on for a few minutes, then flash morse code that it was dying.

So I got a new power supply (LONG painful story for another time but avoid buy.com unless you KNOW you won't have to return anything!!).

I installed it and it seemed to be working, well it sounded like it was but nothing was appearing on the screen. So I unplugged the flat screen from my ATI All-in-Wonder and plugged it directly to the supplied video plug (after removing the card, of course). It still didn't display anything but the power light stayed on the the drive access light flashed.

Plus, now my CD drive won't power on. The DVD drive works, in that I can open & close the door so I know it's getting power, but not such with the CD/Burner. And yes I tried trying different plugs to ensure it's not the power supply.

So I started unplugging the power from different components to see if it would boot just from the mother board--I mean I should at least get to see the BIOS right? I unplugged the CD drive in case it thought that it was dead & wouldn't boot since it couldn't find it.

Still nothing.

I asked for help and was told to try removing the battery and checking the CMOS jumper. Well, I removed & reinstalled the battery but never did find the CMOS. Now I don't get anything!!

All that happens now is that the power light comes on!

Prior to replacing the power supply, my PC would get very hot--so hot that I'd burn my leg on the side so I removed the side panel to try to help cool it down.

Obviously, I am really stuck and am in desperate need to have my PC back.

I'm a mainframe gal and just an end-user on the PC! :icon_mrgreen: I can add & have added hardware and was under the impression that replacing the power supply was "no big deal".

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

What you are describing could also be overheating. Try taking a can of air and blow out the insides, especially around the fan which is positioned of the CPU.

could also be underwattage power supply. And buying another at the same wattage just changed problems, not eliminated them.

Please State old PSU wattage, and new.

In my haste at my excitement over finding this group I neglected to post how I know that it's not the monitor. When it's plugged into the video card, the power light would not go from gold to green (standby to active), but when I'd unplug the monitor from either video input, the screen would turn blue and have the RGB color box floating around like a screen saver with the words NO INPUT SIGNAL below it.

I only posted how hot it WAS getting prior to replacing the power supply to give you guys background info. If just blowing out the dirt would've fixed it, I wouldn't have posted here.

I've read all of your helpful pinned posts about trouble-shooting and the only one that begins to apply to my problem is the CMOS jumper, which I haven't located yet.

Since the power supply didn't come with any instructions, is it possible that I missed a second hidden plug to the motherboard? I have separate 3 cords from the power supply that don't appear to fit anything else in the case.

could also be underwattage power supply. And buying another at the same wattage just changed problems, not eliminated them.

Please State old PSU wattage, and new.

Well, that's part of the long story.

I have an HP half-tower and it uses a 4" supply whereas the standard is 5 1/2".

I ordered a 450W from buy.com as a replacement and when I got it, there was NO way that it'd fit, short of cutting the case apart. So I had to go back to the standard HP 200W. :( (OH! The guy at Fry's told me that increasing the wattage of the power supply wouldn't make any difference! I think he should be working in a different department.)

Now my PC was getting VERY hot so it's possible that something else burned out or overheated but I find it improbable that both video cards shorted out at the same time as well as the CD drive. It's an HP Pavilion 2.3 Ghz with upgraded ram. I've had it at least 5 years and got a great deal on it.

Any ideas? Suggestions? You guys already know that I don't mind doing the work myself, but I'm just not sure how much troubleshooting will be involved this time & I might not have all of the proper tools.

1:is thermal compound on CPU heatsink?
2: did you clean the fan on the heatsink?
3: does the fan on the heatsink turn?
4: does the internal fan on the case turn?
5: And important > did you re-enable the ON BOARD VIDEO in BIOS after removing the ATI Card?

And yes - a 200 watt power supply on a P4 with a High Powered graphics card could keep the system from starting or causing other issues.

The ATI All-in-Wonder is now a generic name, the models graduated and consume a bit more power than those 5 years ago. Especially if it has 3d and Radeon 8500 chipset.

Why do you think he works at FRY's??? Maybe he thought it was an improvement from fries at McDonalds...

You very well may have a failed motherboard or CPU rather than power supply. Although a standard ATX power supply will not fit inside your case, the connectors are identical and one can be used for troubleshooting.

First, check capacitors on motherboard for signs of swelling or leakage. Pay special attention to those near CPU socket. Here's a link with more information:
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

If caps look OK, connect another power supply of higher wattage for testing. Borrow one from a friend if you can.

Clean CPU fan and heat sink as previously suggested.

Unless there are physical signs, it is very difficult to differentiate between a failed motherboard and a failed CPU. Given the symptoms you described, I'd lean heavily toward the motherboard.

Here's a good quality replacement power supply if needed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103507

It is actually an SFX form factor although many call it a uATX.

5: And important > did you re-enable the ON BOARD VIDEO in BIOS after removing the ATI Card?

And yes - a 200 watt power supply on a P4 with a High Powered graphics card could keep the system from starting or causing other issues.

The ATI All-in-Wonder is now a generic name, the models graduated and consume a bit more power than those 5 years ago. Especially if it has 3d and Radeon 8500 chipset.

Why do you think he works at FRY's??? Maybe he thought it was an improvement from fries at McDonalds...

:D LOL yes he should work at Happy Donalds--he'd be more knowledgeable there.

Yes I cleaned both fans and they both work when I turn it on. I need to check #1 & #5--not quite sure how to that tho...

Oh, it's an All-in-Wonder Raedon PCI 2000 I think (I have the box somewhere)--I can't find it on their site any more since they've upgraded to HD and I've not.

Just for the record, what you are describing for your PSU is a micro ATX PSU.

http://www.directron.com/mps3atx20.html

THANKS!! :)

I'll return the 200W one from Fry's since I now know that I can get one that's more powerful.

You very well may have a failed motherboard or CPU rather than power supply. Although a standard ATX power supply will not fit inside your case, the connectors are identical and one can be used for troubleshooting.

First, check capacitors on motherboard for signs of swelling or leakage. Pay special attention to those near CPU socket. Here's a link with more information:
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

If caps look OK, connect another power supply of higher wattage for testing. Borrow one from a friend if you can.

Clean CPU fan and heat sink as previously suggested.

Unless there are physical signs, it is very difficult to differentiate between a failed motherboard and a failed CPU. Given the symptoms you described, I'd lean heavily toward the motherboard.

Here's a good quality replacement power supply if needed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103507

It is actually an SFX form factor although many call it a uATX.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! :icon_cool:

I do have a standard 350W that I can use to test to see if it's something other than the power supply.

After I've tried all of your suggestions, I'll report back.

To get into the BIOS on a HP as it boots hit F1. Are you hearing any beeps as it boots?
If the system has been getting that hot may have already damaged the CPU. Pull the heat sink and fan clean the dust from them. If you have a local computer repair shop close go there and ask them for a little thermal compound. when you put it on if the top of the CPU has a small rectangle on it put about the size of one piece of rice. If it is flat and solid spread it even either with a credit card or razor blade. while doing this take the battery out it will reset the BIOS take out the video card and use the onboard video. unhook everything but the HDD plug in your 20\24 pin whichever you have and if it has the P4 4 pin plug it in. turn on the PC listen for beep codes, If no beeps then chances are you CPU got overheated shorted and took the motherboard down with it.

OK It is a 3D Raedon, but I can't find anywhere to tell me how to manually disable to onboard video. Everything that I can find simply says to remove the battery to reset the BIOS.

To get into the BIOS on a HP as it boots hit F1. Are you hearing any beeps as it boots?
If the system has been getting that hot may have already damaged the CPU. Pull the heat sink and fan clean the dust from them. If you have a local computer repair shop close go there and ask them for a little thermal compound. when you put it on if the top of the CPU has a small rectangle on it put about the size of one piece of rice. If it is flat and solid spread it even either with a credit card or razor blade. while doing this take the battery out it will reset the BIOS take out the video card and use the onboard video. unhook everything but the HDD plug in your 20\24 pin whichever you have and if it has the P4 4 pin plug it in. turn on the PC listen for beep codes, If no beeps then chances are you CPU got overheated shorted and took the motherboard down with it.

Hmm...this sounds like something I'll be able to try tomorrow--after checking to see if the caps all look good.

Thanks.

Re PSU form factors:

Realized that HP has used both uATX and SFX PSUs in their PCs. If PSU has 3 mounting screw holes it is SFX and uATX if it has 4 mounting screw holes. uATX is same as ATX except shorter.

Re PSU form factors:

Realized that HP has used both uATX and SFX PSUs in their PCs. If PSU has 3 mounting screw holes it is SFX and uATX if it has 4 mounting screw holes. uATX is same as ATX except shorter.

It has 4 mounting screws.

Use PSU recommended by 4th&3wood.

Any luck with ATX PSU?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.