Hi all! Having a bit of trouble with a Compaq Presario 700 Laptop. It's been working fine the whole time I've had it until tonight - I installed Flight Simulator 2004, launched it, found it ran badly, updated the graphics drivers, found flight sim played a lot better, played it for a while and then closed the lid on the laptop to go watch something on TV. (Set to do nothing when I close the lid). When I opened the lid again, it was sitting on a BSOD. It gives me BSODs all the time, which I had chalked up to overheating (a common problem on these things). Now, on booting it will not load windows. I get the Compaq BIOS splash screen, then blank. Nothing. If I hit F8, I can get the XP Boot menu. On selecting Most Recent Settings that Worked, I get the blank screen where it sits for ages then reboots itself. If I select Safe Mode, I get:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Before I attempt to reformat and reinstall XP, anyone got any ideas? I personally think hard drive failure, but I want some other opinions too. It's a 40gb Seagate Momentus that's in it.

Sorry for the rather long winded first post, but any help, comments, suggestions much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ewan.

Hey. Thanks for the reply - i had actually seen that site on researching the problem but nothing seemed particularly relevant.
Just to let everyone know, in the end I tried a clean install of Windows, but on a full NTFS format it stalled at 91% and didn't get any further. I decided to go with my instincts and headed off the next day to buy a brand new Hitachi 80gb PATA drive for the laptop, which seems to have solved the problems. (Well, I'm successfully typing this on it now & all seems good for now!!).

Thanks for the help though.

Best wishes,
Ewan.

if 91% is as far as you got, you made the right decision, i.e. bad HD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.